Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    From all the positive reviews on this thread on the JBL GTO 638 speakers, I pulled the trigger. I purchased from Amazon for $54.95 plus shipping, a total of about $64.00. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

The GTO638's arrived @ an hour ago.

The GTO638's are marked as 2 Ohm speakers, but measure @ 2.8 Ohms according to Mr. Fluke.

The OEM woofers are marked as 3.8 Ohms, but measure @ 3.3 Ohms according to Mr. Fluke.

One other minor observation. The Tweeter/Midrange stalk is fixed and you have to mount them upside down. Being such, you can not balance the treble with both tweeters either on the inside or the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    The GTO638's arrived @ an hour ago.

The GTO638's are marked as 2 Ohm speakers, but measure @ 2.8 Ohms according to Mr. Fluke.

The OEM woofers are marked as 3.8 Ohms, but measure @ 3.3 Ohms according to Mr. Fluke.
    Not sure what your saying as I don't really understand ohms but I do know that they sound a hell of a lot better than stock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Not sure what your saying as I don't really understand ohms but I do know that they sound a hell of a lot better than stock.
    The lower the Ohm rating in the speakers, the more power they source from the amp. This results in more volume if the amp is capable/stable for the increased demand on it. If the amp is not stable at that load, it is not good for the amp.

A "perfect" amp will double its power output as the resistance halves until it hits its stability limits. (Example: 350wpc/8 Ohms, 700wpc/4 Ohms, 1,400 watts/2 Ohms).

Attachment 19467

Attachment 19468

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    The lower the Ohm rating in the speakers, the more power they source from the amp. This results in more volume if the amp is capable/stable for the increased demand on it. If the amp is not stable at that load, it is not good for the amp.

A "perfect" amp will double its power output as the resistance halves until it hits its stability limits. (Example: 350wpc/8 Ohms, 700wpc/4 Ohms, 1,400 watts/2 Ohms).

Attachment 19467

Attachment 19468
    That's a hell of a visual

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

What part of the speaker needs to be bent, I don't want to cut on the speaker.

9: and 3 ocklock approximately.
    Look closely at my pictures on the first page of this thread.

There is the instrument glass and metal supports on the outside.

I bent the baskets with a rubber mallet and did no trimming.
    Start the top in first, add sctews, then take a flat screw driver and hammer and tap the bottom of the speaker in flush.

Keep the holes lined up as you do this.
    The bottom of the speaker has to be flush for the shelter to snap back on correctly.

Some are cutting the basket. Go back a few pages in this thread to see what has been cut. Don't cut into the rubber.

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe