Traxxion "Mega-Monty" - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Traxxion "Mega-Monty"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Not sure. Tires and the head bearings would be my first thoughts . I've never thought my B to feel "squirrelly" at any speed. You sure your head stem/bearings are tightened correctly? Have you rechecked them since installing the All Balls?
    Haven't rechecked, but there is no side to side swing of the bars when jacked up. They were really tight when initially installed, seemed to feel EVERY twitch of the bike. I've had them installed approx 1500 miles. When I removed the fork brace, the bike felt more "soft", the brace definitely tightened things up. I'm wondering if it is suspension, how can you tell if it's coming from the front or the rear?

Traxxion Dynamics (TD) thoughts

I'll start by saying: I don't own an F6B. I'll conclude that thought by saying: it is a definite down the road. I ran into another 1800A in FL that I couldn't pass up the other day, or I'd be looking for one now. I fragged to say that in the near future my GL1800A will be a little to cumbersome, and my '14 Valkyrie is a straight out balls-to-the-walls day-rod monster. After taking Steve's F6B-D across FL and back (and thanks for the test-run, bro Steve), it impressed me that the F6B it is an excellent cross-over: lighter, hence quicker in all senses than the 1800, and closer to the 1800 in comfort by a lot more than the Valk is. The Valk is 100lbs lighter and again, MUCH quicker than both of it's brothers. Just not long-haul comfy. I'd rather pretty soon trim down to one 'cross-over'. F6B-D, here we come.

It seems like, and I could get stuff thrown at me here: the F6B is a GL1800 with some parts missing, and a couple tweaks. The handling geometrics are pretty much the same. Hence, I'll relate the following, in answer to some of the questions in this thread.

I think the Traxxion system is best put on by Traxxion themselves, and if I were within 1000 miles of them, I wouldn't go to a dealer (and technically, I am one of them). I'd make a date, like Steve did, have a nice road trip, one stationary day, and the trip back, whooping like a banshee at the improvement. Seems they can do it quicker, cheaper, and better at the 'factory'. After all: they designed it. And just a side-note: I work slow and meticulously on my Goldwings. It takes me 4 hours to swap out the rear shock, although probably 1 hour of that is detailing odds and ends on the re-install of the fuel tank through to the shelter trims. Were I to do the Mega Monty, it would be another 4 hours for the front end. It would definitely be done right, but there's a flat book-rate that is expected on these. I wouldn't make a lot per hour for the full 8 hour day, so I simply refer it to the guy in the next town who needs the work.

Overall, it sounds like the home team at TD can do it in about 4.5 hours, and it is done. Methinks maybe there's a couple guys on the job if it is done that expediently. That's good value for the bucks you pay for the labor there.

Re: the handling: You would have to be sheer nuts to try and stay on my butt on an 1800 through the Rockies back-roads when my throttle gets glued to ON. I do not have the Mega Monty, nor the Full Monty: I have the forks, brace, neck-bearings and the TD rear shock setup, but not the triple-tree-yoke. Nevertheless, I've been in at least one situation with this suspension where I didn't even have the time to pucker up to kiss my butt goodbye-- I was already through the mess without a wobble or hitch of any kind before the pucker was half formulated. Had I been on a stocker, it would have been up to sheer ability and experience to stay on the road, adding a touch of luck to both of those.

I have a good friend who rides a lot like me in the canyons: cutting driver's pegs off and needing peg replacement once per year on a stock GL1800, every year, and occasionally rashing a engine guard/crash bar hard-braking into a corner. He did go the Mega Monty last summer, and hasn't stopped grinning since. Neither of us are burning up pegs anymore--well, yeah, but now it's a good two years or more before pegs are needed, after the TD setups. The bike just stays where it is supposed to, instead of diving or 'flattening' into the suspension. Hence: more ground clearance/better lean angle. Even without their triple-tree there is no slow-speed wobble on mine, no flex. In any even, if I sell my 1800A, the suspension does NOT go with it. (Gotta check and ensure that'll splice into my forthcoming F6B :-) )

Re: Progressives: I bought a 'flip' GL1800 last June, and after getting it home, I chatted with the previous owner on a couple trifles I had noticed. One of the aspects was that it handled, at 131k miles, better than any stock GL1800 I had ridden (which is dozens of them). He told me then that he had installed the Progressives in the front end, had forgotten to mention it to me. (??)

I did NOT have the chance to get it out into the hard twisties, but what pushing it that I did do on it convinced me that the Progressives, although *perhaps not up to par with Traxxion, are a really decent step towards a better suspension on the 1800. I think they are very good value, based on my admittedly limited experience with them, and it is less labor to install them. That particular bike also had an after-market higher-rate coil spring on the otherwise stock rear shock, so that may have made a little difference as well. It handled very well in comparison to a 'stocker'.

If your budget can't handle the Mega, you can diminish the Mega Monty cost by getting decent neck bearings, the TD fork-work done (just remove your tubes and legs and send them in), the TD rear shock (which you can install yourself easily with a proper Honda service manual), keeping the stock triple-tree/yoke setup, but getting the best fork-brace money can buy (which I think is the TD issue). Probably net out at about $2.2k as a 'do-it-yourselfer', and have a *great* suspension under your butt.

Comfort: You are not riding a cushy machine any more. You are riding a racing suspension. If you take the rear shock down to 3-4 on the dial, it'll be softer, but you will feel everything on the road under you. They are not cushy. They are tight. You feel the road.

IMO they are a great setup, in spirit only diminished by the cost of it and the fact that Honda could do the same thing, but doesn't. Perhaps, down the road, it won't be like a 1979 Goldwing having to rely on Craig Vetter for a fairing. They may smarten up and make their own do-dads.

Ride safe.

Just Did It!!

Went and saw the gang over at Traxxion today and had them do the "Mega-Monty" to my 2015. Haven't had a chance to do any real twisties yet, but just riding the thing home you can really tell a difference in how "solid" it feels now. Just makes you want to get out and go ride!!! (and I just did 1800 miles on it last week. Before the mod.)

I'm expecting delivery tomorrow for the Arnott air suspension for Gold Wing F6B
    http://www.arnottcycles.com/suspensi...o-rebound.html
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Set up the appointment for mine today

Just set up an appointment with RMR suspensions to have the Traxxion setup put on my B. One question for you Driver, RMR didn't recommend the brace saying with the new triple tree it was unnecessary and not something they needed to sell me, why did you get the brace on the Traxxion system? I'm just curious and wondering if I missed something important...Suspensions are a bit out of my wheel house

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    Just set up an appointment with RMR suspensions to have the Traxxion setup put on my B. One question for you Driver, RMR didn't recommend the brace saying with the new triple tree it was unnecessary and not something they needed to sell me, why did you get the brace on the Traxxion system? I'm just curious and wondering if I missed something important...Suspensions are a bit out of my wheel house
    I'm sorry it took so long to reply, but I have been thinking about your question.
    It would be "easy" to call Traxxion and give you their answer, but you can do that.
    You want my answer....so here ya go:

I had the SuperBrace and I liked it, I could feel the difference in the front end reduced flex, especially during spirited riding.
    So I experienced that a fork brace was "a good thing."

So, here I am, in the Traxxion showroom and I mentioned that I already had a fork brace.
    They then showed me where it had been tearing up the back end of my front fender piece - which I had noticed - and then said that their brace actually mounted lower on the forks and wouldn't continue to tear up my fender. Okay there's a minor plus.

Then I looked at a set of forks already off and they showed me where the triple tree would clamp, where the fork brace would clamp, and then where the axle was.
    3 points of rigidity.
    And? the Mega Monty was on "sale" making the brace less than 10% of my total investment - which I can probably get back selling the SuperBrace.
    I am not a suspension guru by any stretch but I've had enough math and Statics & Dynamics to see how a middle support between two supporting end pieces is a "good" thing.

I also tried to mentally flow a "hard sweeping turn" through the front end.
    1. Wheel is loaded up laterally
    2. Puts uneven pressure on the axle
    3. One fork must then collapse a bit, one must extend a bit (makes sense to have the same thing in both forks now!)
    4. That lateral loading is carried up the forks to the steering stem, and the forks are free to move about & flex as they wish = sloppy feeling.
    Then try turning the opposite direction......and add those forces into play.....
    5. The Traxxion triple tree does a great job keeping that top end secure, I don't know how much more than the stock stem, but with two points of attachment, I'm very sure it's more and it likely allows for a more uniform pressure on the steering head bearings.
    6. This still leaves approximately 28" of fork tubes that are not supported, except at the end points.
    7. Some where in the middle, I think I support might be a good idea.

That's why I let them do the whole thing.
    I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Steve

PS - For the Traxxion AK-20 cartridge to fit properly in the left fork tube, some lathing is required - make sure your guys know what they're doing!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Thanks Driver, I appreciate your insight on this. Since I don't have a brace installed currently I'll try it without for my own knowledge and most likely install the Traxxion brace at a later date. That way I have a good point of reference to add to the board.

RMR is one of two Traxxion approved installers here in the PNW. I read a lot of good reviews and my conversations with them have been positive. I would just as soon travel to Traxxion themselves for the install however that's bit of an undertaking from here. My account Snark would not approve since I have plenty of leave for the trip but she would not

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    Thanks Driver, I appreciate your insight on this. Since I don't have a brace installed currently I'll try it without for my own knowledge and most likely install the Traxxion brace at a later date. That way I have a good point of reference to add to the board.

RMR is one of two Traxxion approved installers here in the PNW. I read a lot of good reviews and my conversations with them have been positive. I would just as soon travel to Traxxion themselves for the install however that's bit of an undertaking from here. My account Snark would not approve since I have plenty of leave for the trip but she would not
    Copy all and best of luck!
    If they are doing this piecemeal, please ensure you are getting the All Balls tapered bearings.
    That and the triple tree made the steering REALLY smooth.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

They're doing the Full Monty, everything but the brace if I'm reading it all correctly. I just looked at the parts list on my estimate and the all ball bearing set is listed. I'm getting kinda of excited to do this...That and I've been away from my poor B for far to long

Newbie here again. Signing on the dotted line today for a new 2015 F6B Deluxe 40th. When I have time to pick it up, probably Saturday, I'll put a few miles on her. I've had Wings. Bought the first one that came out in 1975, then a 1200, then another 1200, no 1500, then the last one was a 2004 with the recalled frame. Finally decided to pull the trigger on the 2015. I'm quite aware of the suspension issues over the years. Wobbly wet sponges to me. I talked to Traxxion last week about the Mega kit and had decided to make the trip to GA. but then saw they had an installation place close to me in Alvarado, just south of Ft.Worth. Talked to Jim at Raceworx. One man shop who builds race bikes. He casually mentioned he has done 130 Mega installs in 7 years. Issue resolved for me. Sending him the deposit tomorrow so he can order the FULL MONTY with the Traxxion triple clamp included in the redo. After reading 53's experience this morning, it's a no-brainer. I've been riding for 40 years and this will probably be my last cycle as I now have a Medicare card in my wallet! This kit is not cheap my any means. That's obvious. And it's not installed yet so I can't report on any empirical data yet, but the one issue over the years has been the Wing suspension so I stayed away from them until now. Considering the price I paid for the F6B (just over $17,000) this Traxxion expense became a non-issue for me and from what I've read, money well spent. Thanks go out to 53 for his review and when I get mine back, I'll most likely also have a lengthy encyclical about my miles with the Traxxion kit. It's now 9am and I'm off to sign the papers.