Brough Superior

Thread: Brough Superior

Brough Superior

Looks like another famous Marque revived. Brough (pronounced "Bruff" not "Bro") Superior. This is the brand of bike Lawrence of Arabia rode. From Cyril Huze Blog:
    http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/11/07/...4/#more-128904

nice Brough resto.

However Id take a Vinny Black Shadow with a dinner plate speedo anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash View Post
    nice Brough resto.

However Id take a Vinny Black Shadow with a dinner plate speedo anyday.
    Miles has a 1954 Black Shadow which I am sure has the 150mph clock! The owner of the rights to the Vincent name was attempting to launch the "New Vincent" but passed away before he could see it through. He made a few prototypes that were eventually sold at auction.

Nice bike.I've always loved Black Shadows and Norton's.On a side note any one who loves Vincent motorcycles should read this book.
    Big Sids Vincati.Written by his son Matthew Biberman.Great read about Big Sid Biberman who was the king of Vincent repair and restoration.Father and son take on the building of Big Sid's dream bike a fusion of a Vincent Black Shadow and a Ducati GT.

Concur - the Notrun Commando styling is as classic as it is timeless.
    However its propensity of refusing to fire up again after you just rode it to the corner store for a pack of cigs was infuriating.
    If only Kenny Dreer (was it he in Oregon?) was still doing his modern magic to the lovely commando...
    Attached is a beauty i saw at the Indy GP - it fired up, ran and sounded great.

Haven't read Big Sids Vincent yet; thanks for the reminder (it is now on my top 10 books to be read list.)

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Nice bike.I've always loved Black Shadows and Norton's.On a side note any one who loves Vincent motorcycles should read this book.
    Big Sids Vincati.Written by his son Matthew Biberman.Great read about Big Sid Biberman who was the king of Vincent repair and restoration.Father and son take on the building of Big Sid's dream bike a fusion of a Vincent Black Shadow and a Ducati GT.
    Oh yeah: of the 3 potential vinnies shown my vote is for #3 and its not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash View Post
    Concur - the Notrun Commando styling is as classic as it is timeless.
    However its propensity of refusing to fire up again after you just rode it to the corner store for a pack of cigs was infuriating.
    If only Kenny Dreer (was it he in Oregon?) was still doing his modern magic to the lovely commando...
    Attached is a beauty i saw at the Indy GP - it fired up, ran and sounded great.

Haven't read Big Sids Vincent yet; thanks for the reminder (it is now on my top 10 books to be read list.)
    I updated my 70 Commando with an electronic ignition and a single Mikuni Carb and it was always a one kick bike. There are so many upgraded parts to address the Norton's shortcomings they can be very reliable now.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    Big Sid found and brokered the deal on my 51 Black Shadow. Big Sids Vincati is a great book but "Vincents with Big Sid" is my favorite although it may be hard to find. It covers US history of the Vincent really well. Lots of stuff on drag racing. Unfortunately Bid Sid passed recently and will be missed.

The third "New Vincent" bike pictured uses a stock style engine but lost a lot of power to meet emissions. That is why they decided to go with a "new" engine in the "new" Vincent. Plus they wanted to carry on the Vincent speed heritage and be competetive with the best. They almost put the Honda RC51 engine in it. It was very, very close. IMO some things are better left alone.

I vaguely recall reading something in cycle world a few years back about the RC51 Engine in a new Vincent - NOW that would have been something.
    Thanks for the heads up on the books.
    Cheers.