Blue Ridge Parkway trip..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Ridge Parkway trip.....

BRP Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Even in June, riding the mountains can and will get cold especially in the morning. I have ridden the BRP from one end to the other in late June and it never got out of the 60s.

About 30 miles before you get to Asheville, NC on the BRP, exit on Highway 80 toward Marion, NC. It is also a nice little town to stay and lots of motels and restaurants. The ride on US 80 is the best kept secret in the Smokey Mountains and I have never seen it crowded and it is a lot more fun than the Dragon. Trust me on this one.
    I,ll second that, I think US 80 is called the Devils Whip? Fantastic, Rode it last year and it was cooler up on the Parkway. These bikes were made for that riding, enjoy.

auto train to Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Enjoy those roads, and like others have said, avoid the Dragon, on weekends. Just wondering, why you are taking the train, as the weather will be fine, mid June. Still takes time to fly up and get your bike. Just wondering.
    I am not flying up, five of us are taking the auto train (it also takes bikes), from just north of Orlando, FL (about 3 hrs from our home town of Port Charlotte), and 17 hrs later (overnight) we get to north Virginia, just south of DC. We get there around 11am, take our bikes off the train and begin the trip back.

And thanks to all for the tips....our group did the dragon last summer, just after Memorial Day weekend, and enjoyed it during the week, when it was as everyone says, much less congested.

On this trip we are on the train heading from FL north on a Saturday, arriving Virginia Sunday around 11am. We drive west from there to Front Royal, at the top of Skyline Drive, and meander south to our first night on the road. The bulk of the miles will be during the week, finishing the Dragon Friday (we hope), and then heading home on Saturday, taking the back roads to Valdosta, GA for the night. The next day, Sunday, we are about 5 hours from home on 75.

Thanks to BigCity for the link to the appalachian back roads, that will surely help plan our trip route.

Some of my favs along the Skyway and the BRP are the roads going down to the small communities on either side. Some of the best twisties are those because of the elevation changes needed to get down and back up to the parkway.

great stuff, any suggested exits?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Some of my favs along the Skyway and the BRP are the roads going down to the small communities on either side. Some of the best twisties are those because of the elevation changes needed to get down and back up to the parkway.
    any suggestions about places to get off the BRP that you would recommend? obviously, we don't have time for even many of them but if you have one or two favorites, especially one or two to spend the night, it would be appreciated.

Wow you have lots of choices. Skyline and the BRP both can be done easy in two days. From the North on the BRP and after Blowing Rock you can exit south at Mile Post 293 and parallel the BRP on 221, back on at MP 305. Look at Little Switzerland (has two motels and a great restaurant with a view). Exit south from the BRP at mile post 331 or 334 and take 226A (make sure it is the one with A) ride for a bit and return or hit 221 and back up 80 to MP 344 and you will have rode the Diamond Back. MT Mitchell State Park is nice at MP 355. 276 both north and south is twisty at MP 412. One of my favs is 215 aka Lake Logan Rd to the north at MP 423, and return. Not too far and a nice waterfall can be seen from the road. Or South is very nice also and leads to another road side water fall and Rosman, a city with motels. That area is my favorite place to go and is extensive with great roads and little traffic. You could just return to the BRP the same route down or take Silversteen Rd and Canada RD and Charleys Creek Rd back to the same spot on the BRP. That is a great loop and you might hear banjo music. From there, back at MP 423 you will be coming up on the highest point of the BRP and not too far from the end at Cherokee MP469 so make some stops. If you want to get off the bike MP 455 is Maggie Valley and the Wheels Through Time Motorcycle Museum. Lots of Motels also. You can tell I like the Southern end of the Smokies the best. Gatlinburg area and everything on the north side of the mountain is much too crowded with cars for me. From Cherokee it is easy to continue to The Dragon via 28 and Fontana Dam. Motels in that area are plentiful. Then back down and over to the Cherohala Skyway. If you have time a set of maps by America Rides Maps is a great set of maps for the Smokies.

that will take some planning,,,,thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Wow you have lots of choices. Skyline and the BRP both ca..... set of maps for the Smokies.
    awesome info, now to sit down with maps and plot this out.....thanks!!

Parkway ride

The Parkway and Skyline Drive is one of my favorite rides! Weekdays are best. Get a map showing towns and get an idea for your gas stops. If you wait and take a notion to pull off for gas you might go further than you want to.

Swimming is always a part of my trips. Glacier lakes, Geat lakes, rivers, creeks, waterfalls... you get the picture I see water and swim. If you need to cool off a bit on the Parkway pull off at the parking lot at mile marker #417. Just across the road follow the path for a 10 minute hike that ends at a small but beautiful creek hole that is worth visiting.

Take time for the historic markers on Skyline Drive near Shenandoah Valley and be amazed at the feats and hardships of Civil War Soldiers.

I like the lunch buffet at Peaks of the Otter, it's on the Parkway and has a nice hotel (never stayed there I only tent).

Linville Falls at mile marker #316 is worth the short hike and nearby a mile or two off the Parkway is Louise's Rock House Restaurant located on three different county lines with good fried chicken.

I also recommend Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, at 59 Motorcycle Drive off US 276 near Canton. Motorcycles only. I have only camped there but I did see cabins. They serve meals under shelter at picnic tables. The price is right and the company is sure to be great fun.

Have a great ride!
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18