LED Headlights - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    Seems like HIDs have a few limitations that make me a little reserved in using them.
    I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to but several of us are running the HID's in our lo-beams without any problems whatsoever. The install does require some careful thought on the location for mounting the ballasts but it's well worthwhile for the result.

Also, on using LED's for headlights, let me just say this...you can NOT judge the road-lighting capability by looking at the headlights ! LED bulbs always look bright and maybe even blinding but what we need is light down-the-road. Projection IS the name of this game. Perhaps there already is an LED bulb that compares to HID in this regard but I'm not aware of it. That said, it is just a matter of time until we will all be running LED's. This technology is advancing rapidly .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Harley's own led headlight vs .
    I switched to the HD LED on the last HD I owned, boy was I disappointed, and $700 poorer, I could not see the road at night. Bright to oncoming traffic but worthless to the rider. I'm not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I switched to the HD LED on the last HD I owned, boy was I disappointed, and $700 poorer, I could not see the road at night. Bright to oncoming traffic but worthless to the rider. I'm not kidding.
    Agree.My HD friends/pirates spent top dollar for LED lights and they suck.At night when we ride I lead because my HID's just light up the road better
    Ride it like you stole it

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Yup, me too. man was I pissed when I finally got to ride it at night. I ended up giving it to a friend, he did that same. No telling who ended up with that $700 disappointment?

[QUOTE=Hornblower;43285]I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to but several of us are running the HID's in our lo-beams without any problems whatsoever.
    I'm hoping you'll know the answer to these.
    Is there any way to circumvent the slow start up when using HIDs in hi beam apps for f6, something like a "rapid on" ballast? That being said why not a hi beam ballast that is on all the time with a manual switch between it and the bulb, so you have instant hi beam when you need them?
    I like the PIAA Extreme White, halogen bulbs, but since changing the bulbs is such a PIA, I'm thinking something longer lasting might be the ticket, especially with the days getting shorter and the elk coming off the mountains, more lumens down the road seems a good idea.
    ss^,
    Ken

Is there any way to circumvent the slow start up when using HIDs in hi beam apps for f6, something like a "rapid on" ballast? That being said why not a hi beam ballast that is on all the time with a manual switch between it and the bulb, so you have instant hi beam when you need them?
    I like the PIAA Extreme White, halogen bulbs, but since changing the bulbs is such a PIA, I'm thinking something longer lasting might be the ticket, especially with the days getting shorter and the elk coming off the mountains, more lumens down the road seems a good idea.
    Two things I don't like based on current technology...HID for hi-beams for the reason you mentioned, slow warm-up. And second, going with higher than stock wattage (55W) halogen bulbs. AFAIK, HID for lo-beams is the current best bang-for-your-buck and LED for hi-beams can be great for color-matching to HID but don't expect powerful down-the-road projection from those hi-beams. IMHO, this will change not far in the future and we'll be using LED's for everything but I haven't see a great solution yet. The good news...the HID lo-beams throw out so much projecting light, you hardly need hi-beams. One caution...HID bulbs combined with our reflector housing tends to scatter light, i.e. the cutoff is not clean. You will probably have to adjust those lower and even then, expect a few oncoming cars to flash their lights at you. Finally, a practical way to provide closer "fill-in" lighting is to go with LED lower cowl lights. My fav is the BikeMP3 960's but there are other good choices as well.
    Ken (Hornblower)

[QUOTE=fxdl2051;47511]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to but several of us are running the HID's in our lo-beams without any problems whatsoever.

I have HID in my Hi-Beams as well, for the Blue Hairs here in FLA..... IMHO I only use the Hi-Beams during the day and rarely use them at night, partially because the low -beams get it done and the warm up time for hi's....I am not aware of anyway to fit that...Are you running the cut out circuit for you HID's...this is a must have item!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

...Are you running the cut out circuit for you HID's...this is a must have item!!![/QUOTE]
    Presently I've been running Kisan headlight modulators with stock halogens, they work great, people definitely notice them and that's asking a lot from Seaaddled drivers. Their photo relay works perfectly to determine whether the highs will be modulated in daylight or straight hi beams during the eve.
    In fact it , I liked that idea so much, it inspired me to put photo relays in my exterior house lights for security, so they they're always on after dusk.
    Footnote: according to Kissan tech s'long as my high beams aren't HID their unit will continue to work, though if I go LED on high beams, I've got to buy a new unit or have them reprogram the chip in the one I have now to work with LEDs(I'm just waiting for someone to put some of those 5000 lumen LEDs in their hi beams and let us know how they work).
    ss^,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post

I have HID in my Hi-Beams as well, for the Blue Hairs here in FLA..... IMHO I only use the Hi-Beams during the day and rarely use them at night, partially because the low -beams get it done and the warm up time for hi's....I am not aware of anyway to fit that...Are you running the cut out circuit for you HID's...this is a must have item!!!
    How difficult is the installation for the cut-out harness? And is removal of the exhaust covers required? (I'm one of the unfortunates that broke the weld on the bolts holding them on )

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    I have hid's up top for low beams and led cowl lights down low........that's all I need. This combo puts more light down the road then my truck lights do. The led bulbs don't have the projection needed to be used as primary lighting imo.