New Darkside views from Road and Track
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Darkside views from Road and Track

New Darkside views from Road and Track

, Big Dawg
    Ken (Hornblower)

Interesting article and some good points to consider..As for me I will remain with Motorcycle tires for now until more data and quality research is done on Automobile tires on bikes..I don't ride with my bike loaded up, longer trips are no more, and things are working for me now the way they are...I like the idea of greater mileage on CT's and MT's are way to damn expensive for the wear you get...JMHO!!

I have posted my "Darkside" experience and opinions in other threads here on the F6B Forum as well as other Forums and must say that this Forum here seems to be the most civilized in the "Darkside" discussion. I have well over Ten Thousand miles with a Car Tire on one of my Motorcycles and will say it all depends upon what your expectations are. I have multiple bikes and only have a CT on the one because the others just don't work well or will not benefit from a CT.

Ride safe and enjoy.

I spent most of my money on women and motorcycles, the rest I just wasted!!!

Before I draw any conclusions, I would have to drive a 'B with a DS tire installed over a route I am familiar with.

I do know that the owner of the dealership that I bought my 'B from also owns a GL1800 and is a master tech, both automotive and motorcycle.
    He installs many car tires at his small rural shop, and has also done many Goldwing tires over the years.
    When I mentioned a DS tire, he pleaded with me not to even consider it. He said they are just plain unsafe if you drive a motorcycle the way a motorcycle is designed to be driven.
    He drives his GL1800 fast and hard. I do have reason to believe him.

Read a lot on the subject before I decided most comments are skewed one way or the other with very little fact, and mostly uninformed opinion behind them.

I decided to try it for myself and form my own opinion and stopped listening to the argument either way.

I have found on this bike I do like the Michelin run flat on the rear. Maybe not for everyone, or probably not some other bikes.

But I am satisfied with my personal experience. I often ride pretty hard here in the mountains. I have no negative comments, and would like to add I did not do it to save money, or gain mileage I did it simply to see what all of the discussion either way was about and to gather the facts for myself. Logically to me having a run flat on the rear makes sense, if there are no real negatives then to me it's worth it.

I find it interesting people get so worked up over issues like this. Do it if you want! If you don't, then don't. I can't understand arguing over it. Like helmets. I always wear one but I sure as hell aint gonna tell everyone else to wear one. If you don't and get your grey matter mashed that your choice, and I respect that. Might not agree with it but the choice is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Before I draw any conclusions, I would have to drive a 'B with a DS tire installed over a route I am familiar with.

I do know that the owner of the dealership that I bought my 'B from also owns a GL1800 and is a master tech, both automotive and motorcycle.
    He installs many car tires at his small rural shop, and has also done many Goldwing tires over the years.
    When I mentioned a DS tire, he pleaded with me not to even consider it. He said they are just plain unsafe if you drive a motorcycle the way a motorcycle is designed to be driven.
    He drives his GL1800 fast and hard. I do have reason to believe him.

I will say "in my opinion" that taking someone elses bike for a ride with a CT will NOT help you in your decision!!!! Also, if you are truly that skeptical then I would advise you to stay away from car tires. They work for some of us but as I said, it depends on your expectations and what you really want out of your tires.

i read the article. the author stated some riders were "ticketed" for dark-side tire(s).

my question is, where (what states/municipalities) do the police write tickets for this?
    What? Coffee ISN'T free?

Rode-map

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_weasle View Post
    i read the article. the author stated some riders were "ticketed" for dark-side tire(s).

my question is, where (what states/municipalities) do the police write tickets for this?
    Illegal for sure in Great Britain and maybe some other EU countries.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    Read a lot on the subject before I decided most comments are skewed one way or the other with very little fact, and mostly uninformed opinion behind them.

I decided to try it for myself and form my own opinion and stopped listening to the argument either way.

I have found on this bike I do like the Michelin run flat on the rear. Maybe not for everyone, or probably not some other bikes.

But I am satisfied with my personal experience. I often ride pretty hard here in the mountains. I have no negative comments, and would like to add I did not do it to save money, or gain mileage I did it simply to see what all of the discussion either way was about and to gather the facts for myself. Logically to me having a run flat on the rear makes sense, if there are no real negatives then to me it's worth it.

I find it interesting people get so worked up over issues like this. Do it if you want! If you don't, then don't. I can't understand arguing over it. Like helmets. I always wear one but I sure as hell aint gonna tell everyone else to wear one. If you don't and get your grey matter mashed that your choice, and I respect that. Might not agree with it but the choice is yours.
    Well said.