Theory about oil. NOT A DEBATE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theory about oil. NOT A DEBATE

Theory about oil. NOT A DEBATE

Me and some friends were sitting around discussing different types of oil. As everyone that rides motorcycles do. And we all came to the same conclusion about Honda brand oil and Harley brand oil. Since neither company have their own oil refinery,(as for as we know),they must have to buy their oil from someone else. We determined that company was whoever sold it to them at the lowest price, low bid. I'm sure there is a lot of room here for us to be wrong and someone here could give me the facts I could share with the fellas.

shooter
    No sir. You are exactly right. Its just like Motorcraft oil or Delco filters. When I worked for GM years ago we had barrels of oil from Mobil , Shell , Valvoline , Pennzoil , Quaker State and Havoline in the house.

Litmus Test

If your were presented with six one quart containers of oil, made by different producers, with the front label covered and only the rear container info available with the API Logo/Seal, you would be interested in two things which the API Logo contains........Weight and Non-Energy Conserving statement. Thats it! No fuss, ado or argument on which too choose other than the two items mentioned. If all six containers have that basic requirement, all would meet or exceed your motors requirement as defined in the "Owner's Manual" There are but a few Refineries who produce oil for the likes of Harley, Honda, Suzuki etc. etc. They would not necessarily be defined as "Cycle Specific", merely "Motor Oils"

Those who claim they use "Cycle Specific Oil" only apparently never drove a cycle prior to these "mystery oils" being available These oil are a product of the P.T. Barnum School of Marketing

If you want a true education in motor oil

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Be sure you have a lot of time available when you start.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BND Automotive

I have long been using Brian's oil and gas treatment in my car and motorcycle. He does not have a shopping cart on his website as you must talk to him directly and give him the year, make and model of your vehicle. He formulates the oil mixture specifically for the vehicle. My buddy used his oil and gas treatment on his Screamin Eagle from new, broke down the motor at 40K still had the crosshatch. He also manufactures sodium free coolants; bottom line the guy knows his stuff, very knowledgeable.

http://bndautomotive.com/about/

\thread

..before it crosses the Rubicon.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Yep they buy it from a vendor and most likely in such a huge quantity that they (Honda) can dictate the "additive package" that goes into it. That exactly what Evinrude does with their oils, made by Citgo and uses Evinrudes own additive package.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Aren't batteries the same way? All different labels and maybe 3-5 manufacturers.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

OIL QUESTION

This is my first thread so don't beat me up to bad guys. I just started using the Shell Rotella t6 full synthetic 5wt40 in my Valk 98. Also using the Pure One # 14610 oil filter. Any comments good or bad i would appriciate it. A lot of people appear to be using this combination.

I'am looking for a F6B right now and looking forward to the purchase. It appears to be a great bike. I have a 98 Valk and just joined the board today and wanted to get a head start on meeting everyone. I want a wild color orange or lime green would be fine. Here in Alabama i need a color that these auto drivers will see coming a mile away. looking forward to everyone's opinion. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valk98 View Post
    This is my first thread so don't beat me up to bad guys. I just started using the Shell Rotella t6 full synthetic 5wt40 in my Valk 98. Also using the Pure One # 14610 oil filter. Any comments good or bad i would appriciate it. A lot of people appear to be using this combination.

I'am looking for a F6B right now and looking forward to the purchase. It appears to be a great bike. I have a 98 Valk and just joined the board today and wanted to get a head start on meeting everyone. I want a wild color orange or lime green would be fine. Here in Alabama i need a color that these auto drivers will see coming a mile away. looking forward to everyone's opinion. Thanks
    Welcome to the forums!
    Start a separate thread and introduce yourself to the group.

As for your T6 and Pure One, I ran that in my 98 Valk also.
    For the 6, I run the same oil, but a Bosch 3323 filter. The Purolator Pure One would be a PL 14612 or the longer 14610.

I'm over here in Pensacola and we have a few members in Louisiana.

And as far as being seen? Nothing compares with a "full light show."
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce