Are Brakes - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Brakes

I'll test mine in the morning,according to the bottom chart I could be wrong.

My rear wheel does not brake with my front lever.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    My rear wheel does not brake with my front lever.
    Correct.

However the action of your front brake lever influences another device which will activate the rear brake. I shamefully stole the below information from Sabre85 (post #18 - http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6...brakes&p=82037 because he explained it very well:

The rear pedal activates two outer pistons in the rear caliper and the center piston on both front calipers. The bake lever activates the 2 outside pistons on both front calipers. When the left front caliper is pressurized it rotates and activates the secondary master cylinder which then activates the rear center piston. There is a delay built into the system so that when stepping on the pedal the front does not activate immediately, and when using the brake lever the rears do not activate immediately. The magic happens in the proportion control valve and the delay valve. The picture in post #3 is accurate. I am fairly sure this is the fourth generation version of the Honda linked bakes.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Correct.

However the action of your front brake lever influences another device which will activate the rear brake. I shamefully stole the below information from Sabre85 (post #18 - http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6...brakes&p=82037 because he explained it very well:

The rear pedal activates two outer pistons in the rear caliper and the center piston on both front calipers. The bake lever activates the 2 outside pistons on both front calipers. When the left front caliper is pressurized it rotates and activates the secondary master cylinder which then activates the rear center piston. There is a delay built into the system so that when stepping on the pedal the front does not activate immediately, and when using the brake lever the rears do not activate immediately. The magic happens in the proportion control valve and the delay valve. The picture in post #3 is accurate. I am fairly sure this is the fourth generation version of the Honda linked bakes.
    That's kind of what I was thinking, because in my memory, I seem to recall that the front lever would activate pistons in the rear caliper. Well, my bike was sitting on the center stand this morning, so I thought I'd go over and see. Sure enough, I was surprised that the rear wheel didn't seem to be affected by the front lever. However, in my mind I was wondering whether it made a difference whether the bike was actually rolling.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking, because in my memory, I seem to recall that the front lever would activate pistons in the rear caliper. Well, my bike was sitting on the center stand this morning, so I thought I'd go over and see. Sure enough, I was surprised that the rear wheel didn't seem to be affected by the front lever. However, in my mind I was wondering whether it made a difference whether the bike was actually rolling.
    Yes, the bike has to be rolling (the left front rotor spinning) in order for the secondary master cylinder to be activated and initiate the follow on braking action for one of the three rear brake caliper pistons.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

shooter
    So the front brake lever does activate the rear caliper. To say that it doesn't is wrong , because it does. After all how many of us ride the bike on the center stand. I don't know about you guys but when I'm riding my front rotor is always spinning.

Looks like were all learning something today.

Vtx brakes

Still saveing up for a F6b, but my mint Vtx 1800r brake system which may be different than the goldwing, the pedal activates the rear and one side of the front caliper, the handlebar activates the otherside of the front. Why dont one of you guys centerstand it, spin the rear and grab some front brake? That should tell you the answer. I really want a F6b.

Ok read the post

Ok i read the post,
    so it knows when its moving? How do it know?

Just kidding, really an amazing bike. The biggest benefit is most accessories are plug and play. The vtx stuff is always a hassle. I test drove a F6b a few months back. I liked it. I will say the vtx has a lot more guts down low but i still perfer the B.

If I remember correctly, the service manual says to test the secondary master cylinder, put the bike on its center stand, or other suitable device, spin the rear wheel and push the left, front caliper up. The rear wheel should stop. I did that. It works.