GPS choice? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: GPS choice?

For whatever it's worth.....

I have just recently seen a thread on another forum (honestly don't remember which) from someone seeking a third-party repair station for their 660. The reason being that Garmin had told them that the 660 was no longer being supported.

Glad I passed last month on the 660 and spent the extra dinero for the 590. (of course, by the time I need repair....Garmin will have also abandoned the 590 as well, I'm sure)

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post

I have just recently seen a thread on another forum (honestly don't remember which) from someone seeking a third-party repair station for their 660. The reason being that Garmin had told them that the 660 was no longer being supported.

Glad I passed last month on the 660 and spent the extra dinero for the 590. (of course, by the time I need repair....Garmin will have also abandoned the 590 as well, I'm sure)

....sT
    How do you like the 590 and your thoughts on the 595, Simon Termplar ?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post

....sT
    Were you able to confirm that with Garmin? Garmin's web site is showing discontinued but still supported. That seems like a natural life cycle for any product.

That platform seems to be a popular seller still, although nicely discounted in price.

Just for comparison sake:

I am wondering what are the advantages of using a dedicated GPS over the GPS in my cell phone.

I have never had or used a dedicated GPS but I have traveled all over back roads in the middle of no where and have rarely if ever lost the signal to the cell phone. I also get updates as to the road problems etc... on the fly.

I can say that you need to careful when the cell phone GPS tells you to get off and take an alternative route to avoid a traffic problem. This is what is making me interested in hearing opinions about the dedicated GPS over the cell phone GPS.

On my way home from Florida last weekend the cell phone took me on an alternative path to avoid an 11 minute delay.

I normally would go through Birmingham to Nashville and get on 24 through the land between the lakes to St Louis.

To avoid a 11 min delay I went on back roads from just before Birmingham for 5 hours and ended up arriving in St Louis vi highway 55. I had no idea where I was for much of this time. I was already and hour plus in to the alternative root, it was dark, I was sick with the flu, and I had no idea where I was at. Thank god I decided with my sickness to take the car on this trip. I think I may have avoided the 11 min delay but I almost went insane in the process. If it was daytime, I was not sick, and on the bike the back roads would have been great.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Were you able to confirm that with Garmin? Garmin's web site is showing discontinued but still supported. That seems like a natural life cycle for any product.

That platform seems to be a popular seller still, although nicely discounted in price.

No...I've made no attempt to confirm this. As I said....merely a thread I ran across on another forum. The OP there did not impress me as someone looking to smear Garmin or otherwise stir up grief. It sounded as though he just wanted his unit fixed.

Apparently, his touchscreen was not working properly (or possibly at all, it wasn't clear) and when he called Garmin for a fix, they told him that they were no longer performing repairs on 660's. That is the sum total of what I know.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    How do you like the 590 and your thoughts on the 595, Simon Termplar ?

So far, and it hasn't been very long at all (two months...perhaps a bit more), I like the 590.

I was back and forth between the 660LM and the 590LM (for those who don't already know....the "LM" just means that you get a lifetime subscription to the map updates along with the unit. Nothing else). I finally went with the 590 for the TPMS capability. Although not a deciding factor, the better turn-by-turn info was just icing on the cake (not sure that I've ever gotten any of the new and improved voice directions as yet...so who knows whether they're really any better).

That being said.....I've yet to buy the TPMS valve caps as yet, much less install them. Intend to do so before long, however. As an aside....it has since come to my attention that if you intend to use the TPMS system you need to replace the Honda rubber valve stems with metal stems. So if TPMS is a big deal for you...keep that in mind.

As is my usual lot in life....I purchased the 590 and TWO DAYS later (FedEX hadn't even delivered my 590 yet..and I paid for two-day shipping, too) the 595 showed up on the Garmin website.

I looked over the two units on the website using their 'Compare' feature. Other than that, I didn't spend much time on it....figured I'd already locked myself into the 590 and it was $100 cheaper) From just what was featured on Garmins 'Compare'....I could not see any difference at all.. Perhaps a slight change in the case...but that was it.

I may very well have missed something, I didn't spend much time on the matter. But I did spend long enough to assuage my fears that I'd purchased the wrong unit. I am happy with the 590. 98% sure I'd do it again even in view of the now-available 595.

.....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired

Thank you Simon Templar, I will be going between the OLD 590 and the New 395 and 595. Being this is my first no work summer I hope to do more riding than ever before.

I know,I'm a little late to the conversation but I just use my phone and waze. Unless I'm overseas that's all I use in my car as well.
    I choose my own ride and destination and seek not your approval of either.