Is Liquid Glass ok for matte paint?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Liquid Glass ok for matte paint?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar

Is Liquid Glass ok for matte paint?

I bought the Liquid Glass based on the advice of you guys here. I want to protect my brand new paint with the best stuff available and this appears to be it. I had someone tell me not to use it on a matte finish because it would "gloss it up" and defeat the point of the matte paint? My new paint obviously has a matte finish otherwise I wouldn't be posting this question so has anybody else heard similar feedback? I searched online and couldn't find an answer either way. I would love to have multiple layers of protection but not if it will effect the matte look that I just spent $$$$ on. I have a Turtle wax "black box" kit on the shelf just in case. Thanks......

Paint is Paint…I don’t know…try some in a place hard to see and find out…… the Black box is good for the plastic…I do use Liquid Glass on the shiny parts and it does not hurt the plastic parts hope that helps...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Paint is Paint…I don’t know…try some in a place hard to see and find out…… the Black box is good for the plastic…I do use Liquid Glass on the shiny parts and it does not hurt the plastic parts hope that helps...
    Thanks Steve. I'm not worried about it hurting the paint I just don't want a super glossy finish on the matte paint. I love the satin/matte finish I have now and I don't want it to look any other way. I was planning on doing the back side of the front fender first to see, I just wanted to see if anyone knew either way.

WOW!!! to early for me…never thought about the matt finish then having a gloss finish!!!!…..I would say no….only one way to find out!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Liquid Glass on all "painted surfaces" and 303 Protectant on all "black matt surfaces" and you will be "golden". Unlike other waxes/polishes LG leaves no residue but why waste the product when there's a alternative for the "matt black"!

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Liquid Glass on all "painted surfaces" and 303 Protectant on all "black matt surfaces" and you will be "golden". Unlike other waxes/polishes LG leaves no residue but why waste the product when there's a alternative for the "matt black"!
    I am referring to paint protection and a glossy finish over my sexy azz matte paint with Liquid Glass. I have no interest in the 303 product only Liquid Glass. It would not be a "waste" if protects the very expensive paint job I just paid for.

Artiste Extraordinaire Elin in So. Cal.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    ...I would love to have multiple layers of protection but not if it will effect the matte look that I just spent $$$$ on.
    OK, painter here. Paint comes in three finishes (generally)--matte, satin and gloss. Variations on this are found by mixing them. The way these finishes are created is by the smoothness of the final layer. Anything not gloss is going to have some texture to it, defined by the layer on top that bonds with either flat particles (glossy) or rougher texture particles (matte).

Anything you do to "fill in" the spaces in the rougher particles is going to shiny up the surface. You may not be removing any of the finish (as in a polishing compound), but you WILL be adding a fill layer with anything you put on the surface. That has the distinct potential of "shinning up" the finish.

That said, there is a reason you find statements on instructions leading you to "Test this on a hidden surface prior to using".

One person's goal is another's nightmare. You already have the LG, so test a small spot in an unobtrusive place. And buy waxes designed for matte surfaces, else you'll shine up that nice paint job.
    "If it moves, paint it."

Any wax on flat paint will make the paint look like an orange peel paint job. As far as I know that is.

I waxed a flat job once and it messed it up.

Maybe these guys can help.
    ED209 says RED is faster, you have 20 seconds to comply !

Google it. They say no way should you use any wax on matte paint. Very little should be put on it