Whoo, I'll tell you it was more complicated than what I had originally imagined, but I am so very pleased with the results. A lot of people could be very happy with just changing the front speakers and adding an amp. The speakers in the fairing I used with the amp sound very good on their own. The sub, just propels it into the stratosphere in sound enjoyment. Riding the bike a couple weekends ago,before the last round of snow, I was just smiling ear to ear with the sound and bass I was getting while carving up some twisty roads.
I am more than happy to give any input if someone wants to do a similar project. I have jumped across some hurdles already in the process and maybe can help illuminate someone else's path. The biggest issue dealt with hooking up an amp to achieve the operation I wanted. Using speaker level to low level RCA adapters did not work for me. Granted there are some more expensive audio processors that do this adaptation, and if they work, would simplify the process. Smoking Joe on here used one of these and I think he may have got it to work. My problem with the lesser RCA adapters was the signal was severely degraded and distortion was introduced. I chose to splice into the factory wiring harness at the OEM amplifier. I am using the pre out signals from the factory "Audio Unit" to the new amplifier and the OEM amplifier now resides in my parts bin. The results were worth it to me.Requires some skill in soldering, but completely doable. I put in 5.25" Polk MM series speakers that required me to make an adapter plate from a sheet of ABS. The 6.5" will fit with some trimming of the speaker frame.