Modulating headlight debate

Thread: Modulating headlight debate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    I love mine! I only use them when it's time to start lane splitting. I've found that, for the most part, SoCal drivers are fairly aware of motorcycles (relative to other States I've ridden in). But flicking them on when it's time to lane split on a stalled freeway or highway, it's amazing how well it works. It also might be the beige riding jacket, white helmet, and Honda motorcycle (akin to the ST1300s favored by the LA Sheriff), combined with a flashing light, that gets attention...
    So you're saying that headlight modulation can be switched on and off as needed? If yes, can the switch be located anywhere? (there is no lack of places to mount switches on the F6B). And finally, will a modulator work with LED headlights, or does it just become a big, giant on-off flasher from hell?

Following the earlier suggestion by Willtill, I would prefer to have the low beams modulate instead of the high beams – makes more sense to me.

Modulator sensor position

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    So you're saying that headlight modulation can be switched on and off as needed? If yes, can the switch be located anywhere? (there is no lack of places to mount switches on the F6B). And finally, will a modulator work with LED headlights, or does it just become a big, giant on-off flasher from hell?

Following the earlier suggestion by Willtill, I would prefer to have the low beams modulate instead of the high beams – makes more sense to me.
    I installed mine on the low beams (high beams just too much) with a cutoff switch in the sensor circuit so that I can turn them off during the day if desired. Otherwise the sensor controls them, and per the regulations stops the modulation when the sun goes down. If anyone wants to see pictures of where I mounted the sensor and cutoff switch, just PM me with an email address and I will send pictures of the sensor position and switch (DPST to switch both the sensor wires) I used.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post

Correct. I have it installed on my high beams. If I turn my high beams on, and it's during the day (modulators can only be used during daylight), then they flash. Turn the high beams off - no modulators. it will work on anything you have - I have LED headlights and they work great.