Any tips for a long road trip ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for a long road trip ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I beleave with AAA you need to add RV coverage to get MC towing.

If you can stuff a small tent or tarp in your sac. There are stretches of flat land, with absolutely no cover, that will expose you to all elements in case you have to wait for a tow or have to pull over due to extreme weather conditions. These storms pop up out of nowhere and are a bitch (pic #2). Also, Spot satellite tracker is a great device that allows a loved one to track you on a computer and has a (911) button for emergencies. Basic tracking starts at $99 a year, well worth it. http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Inc-SPOT-.../dp/B000YTZV74. Last thing, very important, ALWAYS keep your phone on your person in case you get thrown from the vehicle. That phone is not going to do you any good while you've got a busted leg and can't get to it.

AMA offers roadside assistance for a lot less than AAA. That also will work for your cages. Other needs already mentioned....Slime compressor, tire plug kit, extra phone charger, Tunes, GPS and a half cover

Half the clothes. I pack light a buy travel packets of laundry soap and wash clothes in hotel room sinks. Dry by morning.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Just ordered a PakIt Rak conversion kit for the F6B so I can reuse my PakIt Rak/Nelson Rig Bag/Rain Cover from my previous bike.

Attachment 15928

If you have a small flashlight, wrap some duck tape around it. It takes up less room that way.
    Best of luck!

In the past years couple bikers have been struck by lightning. If you are out in the plains and a storm with lightning starts to brew up and you and your bike are the tallest thing in miles what are you going to do? I was out in New Mexico once and this happened to me (I was on a Goldwing with that tall whip antenna), luckily there was a small town coming up but it sure had me concerned. What would the majority of you guys do?????

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Just ordered a PakIt Rak conversion kit for the F6B so I can reuse my PakIt Rak/Nelson Rig Bag/Rain Cover from my previous bike.

Attachment 15928
    Can't see your license plate?? Can you get pulled over for that?

So many great suggestions from the forum. Remember to "Pack your mindset", for the ride. Most likely you will encounter many close calls with dumb-ass cagers. Get ready for that. Also some not so fun traveling, due to crap weather, or a sore body. Keep focus on the reward of a safe, successful trip, and meeting a group that shares your passion. It will be "time well spent!"

Quote Originally Posted by timjoebob View Post
    I don't know where you're headed but I've used my heated gear in, of all places, Texas and Oklahoma, as I rode one entire day on I-40 in steady rain and high-60s temps. I was cold and the heated gear really came in handy.

As an alternative, make sure you have spare gloves and rain booties. Nothing more miserable than wet, cold, hands and feet... even in the middle of summertime. Also, bring your wind and winter liners. Weather can change quickly.

The bottle of ibuprofen or pain reliever of choice sounds like a joke, but pain while riding takes the joy out of it. The post above about little things adding comfort is a great tip.
    Always leave my Gerbing gear in the bike. Not looking forward to any rain and need to get something for my boots. Have gain gear, armored Colorado Chaps and layered armored mesh jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    Can't see your license plate?? Can you get pulled over for that?
    On my Vision, the plate was very visible. Wings have lowered their plate when they went from a 2 tail light to 3 tail light design. I will either raise the plate or relocate it to the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    So many great suggestions from the forum. Remember to "Pack your mindset", for the ride. Most likely you will encounter many close calls with dumb-ass cagers. Get ready for that. Also some not so fun traveling, due to crap weather, or a sore body. Keep focus on the reward of a safe, successful trip, and meeting a group that shares your passion. It will be "time well spent!"
    Yep, some great suggestions that have been added to my list. A buddy and I am planning on riding coast-2-coast and back.