Test drove an Indian Chieftain - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Test drove an Indian Chieftain

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    But it is called a "motorcycle". Part of the attraction of riding a bike is the open feeling.

Now I full understand wanting to get that 60-80 MPH wind off of the face and chest. If you have wide bars and no wind protection, it tires me out quickly trying to hold on while being blown off the back of the seat. But I always thought that a little wind was SUPPOSE to be part of the motorcycle experience. I thought that was why they invented cars.
    Define "a little wind"

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Define "a little wind"

More than what you get while riding in a car. The amount of wind is adjustable with the right wrist.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I still maintain if you really feel the need for a "totally wind free cockpit", loud stereos, GPS, Bluetooth, Greentooth, Redtooth, etc. etc. buy a damn car and forget what the motorcycle experience is all about....C'mon man, it is a "Motorcycle".....JMHO....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I still maintain if you really feel the need for a "totally wind free cockpit", loud stereos, GPS, Bluetooth, Greentooth, Redtooth, etc. etc. buy a damn car and forget what the motorcycle experience is all about....C'mon man, it is a "Motorcycle".....JMHO....Ride safe
    I don't mind the wind. Clean air is fine. I don't like severe buffeting though.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    My madstad does not whistle; you should double check your installation.
    Regarding wind: I have a madstad and baker hand wings. I believe most of the wind I feel comes up through the fork holes. If you're trying to eliminate all wind, look into the fork wind blockers.
    X2, no whistling from my Madstad but will agree the stock seat sucks, tried 4 different ones before Hartco solved my seat problem.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

Some Madstad's will whistle.

Per the Madstad techs:
    It has to do with the cut angle of the leading edge of the variable piece.
    If yours does whistle, put some tape along that bottom edge and take it for a ride and see if the whistling stops.

I used black electrical tape on the bottom of my Extra Very Dark and the whistling stopped.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I returned the madstad and decided the next step was a huge shield. Bought a baggershield .The big two piece one for a goldwing. Beautiful piece and seemed to be of high quality. The bottom was like 14" I believe and the worked pretty good .fairly clean air in the face. Put the top on which is huge and I had to look through it. Guess what. Vacuume was insane ,buffeting was bad, and looking through messed with my head. I get sea sick and I think that was happening. I found out large shield make large vacuume. I have the honda 17" shield with vent. I get buffeting and vacuume at 65 plush and I look easily over that one (I'm 5 10"). And I always go 80 on this nearby highway. Going to have to purchase another madstad. Tryed the 11 and 13 last time.maybe try the 13 and a 15 but I'll have to get rid of the whistle that did bother me. As far as me not liking wind well, I rode Harleys since 1993 and had many bikes before that,also cbr600 triumph street triple. Never minded the wind. I would rather take full on wind then buffeting . Sold my harley 2 months ago cause I stopped using it as I prefer the f6b and just had no desire to use the fat boy anymore. Besides my garage is small and I had to move my little car then move the harley over then pull out the honda. So Harleys gone. But been staring hard at ducati 899 pannigale. Something is wrong with me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    Something is wrong with me!!!!
    You only need a bigger garage.

af

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    I returned the madstad and decided the next step was a huge shield. Bought a baggershield .The big two piece one for a goldwing. Beautiful piece and seemed to be of high quality. The bottom was like 14" I believe and the worked pretty good .fairly clean air in the face. Put the top on which is huge and I had to look through it. Guess what. Vacuum was insane ,buffeting was bad, and looking through messed with my head. I get sea sick and I think that was happening. I found out large shield make large vacuum. I have the honda 17" shield with vent. I get buffeting and vacuum at 65 plush and I look easily over that one (I'm 5 10"). And I always go 80 on this nearby highway. Going to have to purchase another madstad. Tried the 11 and 13 last time.maybe try the 13 and a 15 but I'll have to get rid of the whistle that did bother me. As far as me not liking wind well, I rode Harleys since 1993 and had many bikes before that,also cbr600 triumph street triple. Never minded the wind. I would rather take full on wind then buffeting . Sold my harley 2 months ago cause I stopped using it as I prefer the f6b and just had no desire to use the fat boy anymore. Besides my garage is small and I had to move my little car then move the harley over then pull out the honda. So Harleys gone. But been staring hard at ducati 899 pannigale. Something is wrong with me!!!!
    Yes, I found that large shields create a vacuum as well. I have a Nation Cycle VStream windshield for the GoldWing, and mounted it on my F6B. Great wind protection, but even with the vent open; you can feel the vacuum on your back. I still have it but am running a Madstad these days with the 13" screen.

I'm thinking about purchasing an additional Madstad upper (the 15") for winter. Does anyone know the difference between the 13" and 15" inch in how it measures? Do you get an extra two inches at the top of the shield; or is it a one inch increase at both the top and bottom?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Yes, I found that large shields create a vacuum as well. I have a Nation Cycle VStream windshield for the GoldWing, and mounted it on my F6B. Great wind protection, but even with the vent open; you can feel the vacuum on your back. I still have it but am running a Madstad these days with the 13" screen.

I'm thinking about purchasing an additional Madstad upper (the 15") for winter. Does anyone know the difference between the 13" and 15" inch in how it measures? Do you get an extra two inches at the top of the shield; or is it a one inch increase at both the top and bottom?

Two inches at the top......BUT you can have Madstad cut what ever you want.
    I have an 11" dark and a 15" clear. I also have a VStream from a Wing and used it for a run to Daytona last year. It is now in a box somewhere in my garage. Nothing but Madstad now !
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.