PDA

View Full Version : Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

Pages : [1] 2

Wildracing22
08-20-2013, 09:10 PM
So, as the thread states, do you always wear, never wear or sometimes wear.

Personally, i feel that i should, though i also feel it takes away the most enjoyable part of riding.

I purchased the ultimate helmet last week that i have been eyeballing, Shark Evoline 3. I wore it some today, i also rode without it some. I feel like i am more inclined from dusk on to wear one as it is a bit cooler, the bugs get bad and the chance of deer become worse. My question is if you sometimes wear one, how do you carry it with you so that as the time where you want it approaches you have it readily available?

Wildracing22
08-20-2013, 09:14 PM
My wifes helmet (small) fits inside the saddelbags fine, mine however does not. I was thinking about fabricating a bracket on the rear to hold mine for when i am ready. Have you seen anything that fits the bill?

chipmaker
08-20-2013, 09:37 PM
I was seriously disappointed when I found out the F6B side case couldn't hold my helmet. I ride with it on, but like locking my helmet in the side case when parked in public. My BMWs and my C-14 could could hold my helmet in the side case.

chipmaker
08-20-2013, 09:39 PM
BTW, there is nothing I see funnier, than a guy riding with no helmet on and a helmet hanging off the bike. If that's not giving the middle finger to Karma, I don't know what is!!

Wildracing22
08-20-2013, 09:46 PM
BTW, there is nothing I see funnier, than a guy riding with no helmet on and a helmet hanging off the bike. If that's not giving the middle finger to Karma, I don't know what is!!

Ironically that was me today, dumbo turned in front of me, luckily a ride in "attack mode" and was able to slow and divert quickly. i know that wont always work..

bobbyf6b
08-20-2013, 09:49 PM
When I was younger I wore one "sometimes" until I had a minor accident and bounced my head off the ground without it. I decided to always wear one from then on. I always had to wear one in battle, so I guess I can handle wearing one when I go to "battle" with traffic everyday. Plus they provide great shade from the sun and protection from wind burn. More pro then con in my book.

Deer Slayer
08-20-2013, 09:55 PM
I have thrashed two full face helmets killing deer with Goldwings. I am still here.

Wildracing22
08-20-2013, 10:42 PM
I should have added a legality option as well, as i used to live in NC and i had to legally wear one, thus we did. I just wonder about those whom freely choose to wear versus must wear.

I am glad to hear that yours has assisted you twice, must have been scary.

Steve 0080
08-20-2013, 11:18 PM
How about most of the time...most of the gear most of the time.... Long trips or when I know I will be pushing either the bikes or my limits...headed to the gym...not so much....My wife will but hates a helmet, ( hair )... We live in Fla. so it is not required. We leave the state often so we do wear helmets on those trips...Full face...around home, 1/2 helmet. I have seen a person sitting at a red light with a helmet on fall over, hit his head and die...I have seen people come off at speed and not have a scratch....the trick is to not hit anything...I also believe that your name is written in the book of life...and when it is your turn...you will get your check cashed!!!

Texas TC
08-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Texas is a helmet optional state. I wear one in very cold weather. Otherwise, it is a baseball cap or nothing on my head. I do not endorse such behavior, it just works for me. I have had one serious accident in my 50 years riding. I was not wearing a helmet but walked away without injury. When I do wear a helmet, I prefer half or three quarter helmet. I get a bit claustrophobic in a fullfaced helmet.

Darkknight
08-21-2013, 04:08 AM
I never ride without one.
My left side bag will fit my HJC full face helmet but I'm not sure about my Shoei Neotek.

Hornblower
08-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Not a choice here in NC. In other states, where allowed, I will still wear the helmet since head injury is the most likely fatal injury.

fast eddie
08-21-2013, 08:15 AM
I feel its a personal choice:icon_rolleyes: but to me it's a no brainer if you don't wear 1 you might not have any brains if you go down.I have raced everything from MX,enduros, road race, hill climbs etc its not a matter of if you crash it's when you'll crash! Not wearing a helmet is like riding with flip flops, tank tops and a speedo:lolup:. Now you have to excuse me I have to go buy some cigarettes an a bottle of Jack and go for a ride NOT :bsII: !

jkelley
08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Always wear one! Trying to protect the last few remaining brain cells I have left.
Besides I find bugs, and bird crap are not too tasty.

Texas TC
08-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Always wear one! Trying to protect the last few remaining brain cells I have left.
Besides I find bugs, and bird crap are not too tasty.

But but bugs and bird crap are just protein. LOL. As for brain cells, lost most of those during my Harley days. Rode with a HOG chapter that was a Drinking Club with a Riding problem. Glad I survived those days. :banghead:

Westernbiker
08-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Helmets are not required here in Arizona, however, I wear one MOST of the time. I always wear one going to and from work, the freeways and drivers here are CRAZY! And when I am on trips I always wear one. Prefere full face but do have a half helmet, it mostly collects dust.

1951vbs
08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
I started riding in Minnesota (no helmet required) and was anti-helmet for the 20 years I rode there and was very lucky I never needed it. I would ride down to 12° F wrapped up like a mummy but too stubborn to put on a helmet.

I moved to the Carolina's (SC not required/NC Required) 17 years ago, wore no helmet or a novelty helmet for a couple years and found I was only riding 15,000 miles/year (like when I lived in MN) so to prolong my riding season I "learned" to accept and use a full-face. Once I got used to it, I liked it and now ride year round. They are great in the rain too! There have been several years I logged 50,000-65,000 miles because I worked from my bike or had a 230 mile round trip commute. For the last 15 years I never, ever ride without it.

2 years ago I hit a deer on the way home from work and was knocked out for 10 minutes. Helmet was trashed, deep scratches from the chin bar to the top, broken face shield, lots of road rash on the back of the helmet. I rode almost 800,000 miles before I needed it but I am glad I wore it. You never know when it will happen; going to the Gym or the corner drug store. I have lost two friends recently (in separate accidents a year apart) that both wore helmets most of the time, unfortunately neither had them on when they crashed and died of head injuries. Both had been riding longer than me. Your choice.

kjelders
08-21-2013, 10:07 AM
I have always worn a helmet whether state required or not. On very warm days (which are few in the Pacific Northwest), I wear a half helmet. All other times I wear a Nolan N90 modular which also has my Sena SMH10 bluetooth head set.

Paul B Blues
08-21-2013, 10:11 AM
We have to wear helmets in the UK, it's been a legal requirement for a very long time. Like many of you I've also been involved in a bike accident. Had I not been wearing my helmet I would have died :icon_frown: Along with my Spinal Cord Injury, broken arm, shoulder, ribs, I had a fractured skull, it would have been much worse and would have killed me had I not been wearing a helmet. :shock:

Paul B.........:icon_cool:

yabiah
08-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I choose to wear mine all the time.

Bike44
08-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Like many I have several helmets and have never ridden without. Too many bikers I've known or read about had an obit or are on life support: Rider was not wearing head protection. It's one thing to be gone and the spouse spending any insurance, but it's even worse if they have to sell everything to pay for permanent med care.

Scotrod
08-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Lots of things to consider,,, I can live without an arm or a leg, but it would be a challenge to live without a head! (Athough I swear, some folks use 'em only as a hatrack! LOL!)

I wear one all the time, except for the occaisional 2 block trip on sidestreets to go fill up/return.

Helmets are hot, and Houston has heat/humidity almost the year 'round,,, That aspect is the toughest, but ventilation is a lot better now than it was,,,

Beyond 'crash' protection, one also needs to consider the benefits.

My eyes are 'dry' a lot of the time. Riding without a visor, even behind a full shield, makes it worse.

Eye/face protection (with visor), from both UV rays and those pesky flying projectiles. (REAL riding glasses work great for the eyes, but not so well for your face)

Road/wind noise reduction.

Great for helmet coms, but I still remember the 'peaceful' days before the wife and I got our com system! (Thanks goodness for MUTE!LOL!)

Stealth factor with tinted shield; Kinda neat to 'see without being seen' at times,,,

Added visibility with certain colors. I've used silver for the longest time to try and dodge heat/be seen. My Jcruise is white,,, same reasons. (Heavy black mesh jacket for winter. Lightweight Silver mesh for summer)

Some have nice colors/graphics,,, (Seems like a lot are geared towards 'sports' riders.)

Any other benefits???

av8rdave
08-21-2013, 07:00 PM
I was taught as a kid to never throw a leg over a bike without a helmet. It would feel strange without one.

gray rider
08-21-2013, 09:16 PM
I always wear the helmet and complete gear.

My helmet is an extra large and after much frustration I found that by moving the audio cable in the left bag my XL Schuberth will fit if placed in the one and only position with the right face shield hinge in the widest part of the bag. It is a very tight fit but beats lugging the helmet along at every stop. It took over an hour of trying every possible position on both sides before the sweet spot was located.

Philbert40
08-21-2013, 11:09 PM
We all should have the choice. I hate that the GOV. Tells us to wear one. By the way, I do wear one by choice and by requirment.

JesseS
08-22-2013, 08:05 AM
I don't have my F6 yet, just got the OK from my spouse to trade up :bowdown: from my 10 year old 105,000 mile VTX so I will wait until spring. As for the helmet, I always wear one, had I not when I buried my GL1000 into the side of a Mercedes in Germany I would not be here. He pulled out of a blind drive right in front of me with oncoming traffic and no where to go, I jumped up off the bike just before impact and sailed, bounced, rolled, and slid down the road for 175 feet, helmet trashed, leathers scuffed up but only a sprained ankle. It took 3 German drivers to pull me off the A-hole.

zman
08-22-2013, 06:10 PM
I own An Arai, Shoei full face and a JHC half helmet. 99.9% of the time I wear a helmet. The lone exception is when I'm in Tombstone, AZ riding back and forth from Big Nose Kates to the hotel since there is not a helmet law in AZ. Other than that I normally wear a full face.

photodiver
08-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Always, anything from a half to full face.

Scotrod
08-23-2013, 07:52 AM
So far, about 5% of this group never don a bucket. A distinct trend towards wearing/wearing full time.

UTurn
08-23-2013, 12:13 PM
State law here in Mass. My regular helmet is a (legal) half-helmet, and I carry a fullface in the saddlebag (Nolan trilogy outlaw) for inclement weather. I'm 43, and when I was younger I would take the helmet off as soon as I got to a state that allowed it (ME,NH, RI) As I got a little older, I started wearing a helmet on the highway, but would then take it off once off the highway. Now, with two kids, and a little older, I usually always ride with one on. I'm certainly pro-choice when it comes to helmets, though.

fsixb_AZ
08-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Another AZ rider here, no helmet required for adults. I always wear a helmet. With the wind noise from the stock low shield so pronounced I couldn't hardly hear my tunes so I did some research and bought a Shoei GT air, at 650 bucks it was the most expensive lid I've every purchased, sad to say despite the reports of it being very quiet, still too much wind noise, I just got a taller shield, problem solved. My other helmet has the speakers inside, so that is really nice too. Rode mostly MX in my younger days, wouldn't ever ride the dirt without a helmet, assfault :icon_mrgreen: is much less forgiving on your skull than dirt.

MSGT-R
08-24-2013, 01:36 PM
I've worn one since before state law mandated it.
I wear it even in states that don't make you wear it.
I'm an MSF instructor and I teach to it.

When I jousted with a mini-van that turned left in front of me in a 40 mph zone, I was fully geared up and wearing a full face (like I aways do) - I was unhorsed in that joust.

4DI2D
08-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Not a choice here in NC. In other states, where allowed, I will still wear the helmet since head injury is the most likely fatal injury.

Most motorcycle fatalities are attributable to major blunt force trauma of the chest and abdomen.
Only surgeons with an addiction to spandex say they labor 30 hrs. a day, nine days a week putting our skulls back together.

Scotrod
08-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Most motorcycle fatalities are attributable to major blunt force trauma of the chest and abdomen.
Only surgeons with an addiction to spandex say they labor 30 hrs. a day, nine days a week putting our skulls back together.

I know this is not a debate, but I disagree. #1 cause of MC fatality is head injury. If you have information stating otherwise, please share it with the group.

Hornblower
08-27-2013, 03:11 PM

Learn something new every day:shock:

bobbyf6b
08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Motorcycle Accident Statistics And Possible Causes

The Facts
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars.

In 2006, 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in highway accidents alone.

In 2006, 4,810 motorcyclists were killed in road accidents.

11 percent of all roadway accidents that occur in the United States involve motorcycles.

Head injury is the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes.

A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 40 percent more likely to die of a head injury than one who wears a helmet.

A motorcyclist not wearing a helmet is 15 percent more likely to suffer a nonfatal injury than one who wears a helmet.

It is estimated that helmets reduce the likelihood of a crash fatality by 37 percent.

In 2007, a total of 7.1 million motorcycles were registered in the U.S.

In 2005, the motorcycle fatality rate was 73 per 100,000 registered motorcycles; meanwhile, the passenger vehicle fatality rate in the same year was 14 per 100,000 registrations.

Motorcycle use is growing disproportionately to fatality growth. For instance, in 1997 there were 3,826,373 motorcycles registered in the U.S. and 2,116 motorcycle fatalities. In 2005, there were 6,227,146 motorcycles registered in the U.S. and 4,810 motorcycle fatalities. So, between 1997 and 2005, registrations grew 63 percent while fatalities more than doubled.

A 2009 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s Highway Loss Data Institute report found that:

More than half of motorcyclist deaths involved at least one other vehicle.
42 percent of two-vehicle fatal motorcycle crashes involved a vehicle turning left while the motorcycle was going straight, passing, or overtaking the vehicle.
A little less than half of all motorcycle driver deaths involved no other vehicle.
Of the 1,791 motorcycle deaths that involved only the motorcyclist
48 percent were speeding.
42 percent had blood alcohol concentrations of 0.08 percent or higher.
655,000 motorcycles were purchased, a decrease from 1.1 million in 2008.
Possible Causes Of A Motor Vehicle Accident
Poor weather conditions;

Not utilizing a turn signal;

Lane splitting, i.e. when a motorcyclist drives between two lanes;

Ignoring traffic conditions;

Ignoring traffic signs;

Disobeying speed limitations;

Driving on the wrong side of the road;

Not seeing a motorcyclist due to glare or other view obstructions;

Inexperienced motorists;

Driving while under the influence of drugs;

Vehicle defects;

Roadway defects;

Intentional hostile actions

However, the primary reason for motorcycle accidents is that motorcycles offer little protection when a collision occurs. Although helmets can save lives, motorcyclists have little else to rely on should a crash occur.

Helmet Statistics
According to the Governor’s Highway Safety Administration (GHSA), wearing helmets is the single best way to prevent motorcycle accident fatalities, with a rate 0f 37% for riders and 41% for passengers.

In 2008, 43% of all victims that were fatally injured in a motorcycle accident were not wearing helmets.

In 2009, 44% of all victims fatally injured in a motorcycle accident were not wearing helmets.

NHTSA determined that at least 1,829 lives were saved in 2008 because riders were wearing helmets, and an additional 822 victims would have lived had they used a helmet.

According to the Department of Transportation, only the District of Columbia and 19 states mandate universal helmet laws, even though research have proven that helmet use is the easiest way to help saves lives during a motorcycle accident.

Seven states have repealed the universal helmet law since 1997: Texas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Florida, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, and Michigan.

According to GHSA, helmet use drops significantly when helmet use is repealed.

Fatalities increased in all seven states that repealed helmets laws, with Louisiana coming in 1st with a fatality increase of 108%.

In 2004, nationwide helmet use increased. As a result, motorcycle accident fatality rates drastically decreased.

Alcohol And Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to NHTSA, in 2010, a total of 29% of fatal motorcycle accidents involved riders with a blood alcohol level above the legal nationwide limit, .08.

In 2005, one in every three motorcycle accidents was a result of riding under the influence of alcohol.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), older adults between the ages of 40 through 44 have had increased alcohol-related motorcycle accidents. However, young adults between the ages of 20 through 24 still lead as the age group with the most alcohol-related motorcycle crashes.

In 2006, close to 4% of all victims involved in a fatal motorcycle accident had at least one prior alcohol-related conviction. Only 2.9% of car drivers involved in fatal accidents had prior convictions.

Speeding And Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the NHTSA, 37% of all motorcycle accidents in 2006 involved speeding.

In 2008, 35% of all fatal motorcycle accidents were the result of speeding.

Close to half of all motorcycle accidents do not involve another vehicle. Instead, speeding was the main contribution. Of the other half of motorcycle accidents which involve another vehicle, speeding is one of the leading factors of accidents as well.

GHSA has determined that stronger law enforcement in high-target areas for motorcycle speeding will likely reduce motorcycle accidents.

Motorcyclists speeding while not wearing protective gear, such as helmets, more than double their risk of a potential fatal motorcycle accident.

All Content © 2013 | MotorcycleAccident.org

Scotrod
08-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Lotsa ways to be injured/killed.

Hard to do at times, but we all need to BE SAFE.

kInda suprised at the role speeding had in accidents. Don't want to stereotype, but some Sports riders just don't feel like they are 'riding' if they are anywhere near the posted speed limits,,, Some are just 'asking' for a mishap,,,

(Can't throw any stones in my own glass house,,, I was no angel when I was younger, still haven't earned many feathers, let alone any wings,,)

Odd note,,, A couple years ago, I was on my way to a MSF course,,, Sport bike passed me at 80+ mph (in a 65). I recognized the bike/riding jacket,,,

It was our Instructor! :nono:

1951vbs
08-28-2013, 03:01 PM
What I can't figue out is:

In 2008, 43% of all victims that were fatally injured in a motorcycle accident were not wearing helmets.

In 2009, 44% of all victims fatally injured in a motorcycle accident were not wearing helmets.

So that means 57% and 56% of fatally injured victims WERE wearing helmets. So wouldn't you have better odds without a helmet?

How do they factor in how many riders wear helmets or not or sometimes and how many miles they ride with or without?
How many (that died) wearing helmets are wearing a beanie vs. a DOT approved helmet.

Like I said before I believe in choice. My choice is 100% helmet, 100% of the time.

Scotrod
08-28-2013, 03:18 PM
RE; So that means 57% and 56% of fatally injured victims WERE wearing helmets. So wouldn't you have better odds without a helmet?

Nope. Just means the majority of folks are wearing helmets.

If 50% wore and 50% didn't, it might seem that way,,,

Another view: If 80% of folks wear a helmet, and if helmets made no difference as to the cause of death, 80% of the fatalities would have been wearing helmets, not <80%.

bobbyf6b
08-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Someone posted that most fatalities were from chest and abdominal injuries. I didn't think that was true and one google search found that I was right. I posted the whole thing for the heck of it. Interesting stats for sure.

Do people post misinformation on purpose? Hard to tell sometimes.

4DI2D
08-28-2013, 04:49 PM
If you quote the gov'ts statistics you believe the disinformation of people who don't want motorcycles on the road.

They also state that helmets prevent fatalities in 37% of accidents which puts the lie to everything else they say.
We are also supposed to believe that a helmet in which you can easily see the dark outline of the front aperture doesn't restrict your vision and putting a laminated shell packed with foam over your ears doesn't hinder your hearing. FANTASTIC!!!

Helmet choice is the issue and I know 1%ers who CHOOSE to wear a full face helmet. They just don't want Nanny gov't mandating any more restrictions. I for one do wear a full face for distance and inclement weather but prefer to be able to go uncovered when I'm putting thru town so I can see and hear better (denied to me by the Nanny in the State House).

ANY reduction of awareness reduces your survival factor on a motorcycle. Check out the granny with the green plastic behind her glasses going home from the optometrist with dialated eyes (one of which turned in front of me from a thru-only lane).

I also own a half helmet and a beanie for appropriate occasions.

Scotrod
08-28-2013, 08:21 PM
My chances for survival were greatly improved when my helmet kept my mellon from splattering all over the rear end of a truck. (In-town on a lazy Sunday evening, about 40 mph.)

One of the wife's Boss's hit a bus in Galveston at LSRally last year. Half helmet. After he was released from the hospital, he didn't care much for eatin' soup for months while his jaws were wired shut, but he's back on solid food now.

We all have reasons for what we do. Can't expect them to all be the same.

bobbyf6b
08-28-2013, 09:08 PM
I will never understand the idea of wearing a helmet on the highway, but then not wearing one when riding around town. The possibility of an accident is MUCH higher when riding around town. Especially close to home. A car running a red light doesn't care that you can see or hear better when it t-bones you.

On the subject of 1% riders wearing full face helmets, the ones I know wear them for protection of their identity, not their cranium.

I forgot this wasn't a debate thread. Sorry. I live in a state where helmets are a choice and I choose to wear one also. I was in an accident while riding around town, close to home and at slow speed. Still bounced my head off the pavement. Spent the night in the hospital but was lucky. I don't want to do that again.

Government facts might be wrong so I guess we'll never know the truth.

MSGT-R
08-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Odd note,,, A couple years ago, I was on my way to a MSF course,,, Sport bike passed me at 80+ mph (in a 65). I recognized the bike/riding jacket,,,

It was our Instructor! :nono:

One call to MSF would have stopped that crap, or he wouldn't be an instructor anymore! :nono:

Scotrod
08-31-2013, 01:50 PM
It was a 'safe' pass, as far as other vehicles involved/amount of traffic on the road. It was on beltway 8, which averages 3 lanes wide,, he had a clear lane, but he 'wasn't letting any moss grow on his wheels', lets say!!!!

I mentioned it to another instructor off to the side at break time (as I was grinning ) He was a Sport rider as well and his response was "Speed doesn't kill" (I think that position could be debatable! LOL!)

Everything in the class itself was about safety/proper riding. The Instructor who passed me was a former cop, so he probably has a little,,, "do as I say, not as I do" blood in his veins,, :icon_lol:

MSGT-R
09-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Not just the pass (that was rude enough).. the fact if he wasn't wearing all his gear.

When you become an MSF Instructor, you sign a code of conduct letter. A couple of the items on there are to always ride with all of your gear on, regardless of what state you're in, as well as the conduct you present the public when you're on your bike.

Scotrod
09-02-2013, 10:29 AM
So, how could you tell what gear he was (or wasn't) wearing by my post? All I said was I recognized his jacket,,,

MSGT-R
09-02-2013, 12:50 PM
No, I said if. The first statement, his behavior, is enough to get him counceled by MSF.. As instructors, we have to set the example, no matter what our past has been.

Scotrod
09-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Stop the bus, I want off,,,

Steve 0080
09-05-2013, 09:02 PM
I have no desire to kick any one personally who is a MSF instructor..... but I can only laugh that once you pass a course, ( in FL ) after never getting out of second gear qualifies you for a motorcycle license is insane. There are two things that grade your ability to ride a bike... slow speed in a parking lot type area and twisty's. I know a lot of people here in FL. who have over 35 years of experience and have absolutely no ideal how to ride a bike, other than straight down the road, period!. God forbid anything happens in front of them because they can not do anything about it. And having heard of counter steering or evasive maneuvers in a class has almost no value. I just read a story in a bike magazine where a guy came to FL. to ride, found out what a heat index of 115 and 100% humidity feels like and did not ride until the winter. ATGATT is better than MOTGMOTT... but some gear is better than none. I am a true believer that when it is you time , it is your time no matter what!!!

Scotrod
09-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Pretty much the same scenario here in TX. MSF course required before getting your MC endorsement.

Geared towards first-timers,,,

We started the riding portion of the class by 'walking' our bikes back and forth across the parking lot a few time. (Sure was nice when we could finally START the engine! LOL!)

Then some 1st-2nd gear parking lot maneuvers. Some 'rapid' stops, cornering stops, 'the box', etc. Nothing very challenging for a few, somewhat challenging for 'new to MC' participants,,,

Not everyone 'passed' either,,, I recall one such participant that claimed she recently acquired a 1200cc sport bike. It was sitting at home while she learned to ride,,, On the course, she was hyper-timid and SLOW as frozen mud,,, Didn't make the cut,,,:icon_frown:

MSGT-R
09-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Ya' gotta start somewhere, and the Basic Rider Course is exactly that. Much better than a friend saying "here's the clutch, here's the brake now go down the cull-de-sac and back".. Or the dealership launching you out the driveway, directly into traffic for your first ride home. :shock:

The lessons get you familar with the sensation of riding a bike and gets the basic skills needed to build experience started from the ground level. If you forgot, your instructor said that these skills are just the beginning. Go out and ride for awhile; please build upon what we have presented here. Consider coming back for the Experienced Rider Course to further your education when you feel comfortable..

The military even has a Military Sportbike Rider Course (MSRC). Civilians are just now getting a version of that called Advanced Rider Course (ARC) and it takes your speeds up to 25 mph with deeper leans and more street oriented skills. There are other schools that can teach you even more advanced stuff on a track and is quite expensive.

One course is never gonna fill you head with everything you need, but it's a starting point.
Not everyone is suited for riding a bike. Better to find that out in an MSF class than on the street.

...now back to helmets. :icon_wink:

xzvs
09-08-2013, 07:55 PM
wear mine all the time -- get strange looks at the grocery and my fiancee' complains a bit but .....

dickiedeals
09-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Wearing a Helmet should be a personal choice. I wear one mainly because I don't want skin Cancer on my Bald Head. Nothing like a nice Carbon Fiber Half Shell.
Dickie

MichaelG
09-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Personally...I agree that helmet use should be a choice...but I am of the opinion that it should be a choice...for riders over the age of 30 years old.

Yeah, yeah, yeah we can all pick a different age for the choice to kick-in. I could have said...riders over 50, but I know that would both most of you...kids.

Now, to the fact....(just the facts, Ma'am)...once again, here are the pictures of my Arai helmet, that was directly hit by the lightning strike. This helmet protected me from receiving the direct hit on the top of my bare-naked head.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I had not been wearing a helmet in this instance.

My choice...my life.

Again, I want to THANK Arai helmets for stepping up and replacing this helmet with a new...CT-Z helmet...in exchange for this crispy fried helmet. I am sending this old helmet off to them today via UPS for their inspection and research.

1951vbs
09-26-2013, 08:54 AM
I posted earlier on this subject and absolutely think it is personal choice. My choice is to wear it because no matter how careful and vigilant you are you never know. Here is a picture of my helmet after I hit a deer at 55mph flew through the air for a long ways and was unconscious for 10 minutes. Not much doubt in my mind that lid saved my life.

CruiserCustomizing
09-27-2013, 06:22 PM
It is a matter of personal choice, but I personally won't ride without a helmet. Having ridden and raced dirtbikes for most of my life, I know how easy it is to suffer a concussion (or worse) even when wearing a top quality helmet. Nerves and brain cells do not regenerate. Once you scramble the egg, you can't unscramble it. :banghead:

MSGT-R
09-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Again, I want to THANK Arai helmets for stepping up and replacing this helmet with a new...CT-Z helmet...in exchange for this crispy fried helmet. I am sending this old helmet off to them today via UPS for their inspection and research.

Wow. :clap2: Cycle Gear did that for me when my Seven-Zero-Seven Crusader helmet failed on impact during my accident. The chin bar flipped up and I had damage to my nose/lip/chin. The chin bar never touched anything, the mechanisim broke when the helmet flexed when hit on the side. I called Cycle Gear to see if they wanted it for evaluation. When I turned it in to my local store for shipment, HQ had told them to give me any replacement I wanted from the wall! :shock: That was not expected. That's good customer service. :bowdown:

choptop
01-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Don't wear one and the majority around here and the people I ride with don't. Have a new one and kinda enjoyed it the few times I wore it. May start when I get this bike, may not.

motozeke
01-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Choice, blah, whatever--not wearing a helmet every time you ride is ****ing nuts. I rode without one on a few occasions when I was 20-something before California's mandatory helmet law, and I'm not proud of it. Full face all the time for me anymore.

Wild Bill
01-29-2014, 07:31 PM
To each there own. I don't ride without one. Even in states that don't require a helmet my head is still coverd.
Wish I had some pics of my buddy and his sons helmets after they hit a deer at 70...And walked away to get a new Goldwing. Thanks to the good lord and good insurance.

hiflyer
01-30-2014, 05:09 PM
In my earlier years, I rode enduros. High Plains Enduro Circuit class champ back in the day. Wearing all the gear was a necessity. Woke up in the hospital 2 days after a race. I don't know what happened, in fact I don't remember much of that week. I do know that if I hadn't been wearing my helmet, I would be watching all you guys ride your 6er's from above. As a young man, I also did a stint as a mortician and was one of the first registered EMT's in the state of Texas. I have seen what pavement does to noggins and unprotected skin. That said, I don't like to be "told" what I have to do, but I wear the gear.

dickiedeals
01-30-2014, 06:38 PM
I wear helmet here in Florida to keep from getting skin cancer on my bald head and ears. The Law say's I don't have to.
Helmet Laws Suck!........................Dickie

Retired Army
01-30-2014, 07:15 PM
The most important control on any machinery is the brain, with out it nothing works. Every one is issued only one. IMHO the brain should be protected.

opas ride
01-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Talk to my son-in-law who is an emergency room nurse...He can tell you all about those that do not ride with helmets....I recognize it is a personal choice in states that do not require one, but I value my head/brain enough not to take that chance.....

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Not to preach -
I lost my baby brother and best friend on a Family Reunion ride last summer.
He'd be with us 100% today, had he been wearing a helmet.

Those left behind are devastated.

Yes, I do and will always wear one.

J

dickiedeals
01-31-2014, 12:15 AM
I wear helmet here in Florida to keep from getting skin cancer on my bald head and ears. The Law say's I don't have to.
Helmet Laws Suck!........................Dickie

Don't misunderstand me. I think you should always wear one. I just don't think the Government has the right to force it. Same feeling for seat belts!

motozeke
02-01-2014, 01:59 AM
Not to preach -
I lost my baby brother and best friend on a Family Reunion ride last summer.
He'd be with us 100% today, had he been wearing a helmet.

Those left behind are devastated.

Yes, I do and will always wear one.

J

Sorry for your loss sir.

Let's lid up people. Seriously.

JohnnyB
04-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Always, if I crank the bike, the helmet goes on.

CaptRob
04-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Personally...I agree that helmet use should be a choice...but I am of the opinion that it should be a choice...for riders over the age of 30 years old.

Yeah, yeah, yeah we can all pick a different age for the choice to kick-in. I could have said...riders over 50, but I know that would both most of you...kids.

Now, to the fact....(just the facts, Ma'am)...once again, here are the pictures of my Arai helmet, that was directly hit by the lightning strike. This helmet protected me from receiving the direct hit on the top of my bare-naked head.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I had not been wearing a helmet in this instance.

My choice...my life.

I also believe street bikes should be for those over 30! No Government, no law, just advise ,men especially think they are indestructible until about 30

CaptRob
04-04-2014, 07:28 PM
A full face Simpson saved my life in 1986 on a Honda Nighthawk 650! ( hence my 30 years old comment above ) I was on lunch break and a stoplight runner and hit and run A hole pulled out in front of me! Not my fault ( except riding in right lane on 4 lane and not paying attention) at 19 my melon was safe but my body took many months to recover and at my age now I am paying for that damage in my back and knees.
So I decide to be a bad ass Harley rider and wear novelty lids to look cool for many years as a middle aged man. With my experience you would think I know better!:bang head: It just is not in style to wear a big helmet on HD. But now with my F6…I bought a new Shoei Full face and have DOT half helmets as well. I get too hot in the Full Face in Summer but I am going to try to use it as much as I can stand.

Steve 0080
04-04-2014, 07:56 PM
A very smart young man from your area told me....." it is better to sweat than bleed" ...... made me stop and think!!!!!

CaptRob
04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
A very smart young man from your area told me....." it is better to sweat than bleed" ...... made me stop and think!!!!!

Sounds wise indeed..batman-smilie.

Hogzilla
04-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Depends on where I am going. I have been known to ride without one but 90 to 95 percent of the time I have a helmet on. Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't! I know all the statistics and have been riding since I was 10 years old. I am now 51 so I have been around this riding thing a long time. Seems like when I was younger, I always wore a helmet and now I don't really care as much. Go figure!!

Arkf6bRider
04-06-2014, 01:23 PM
6 yrs ago I was at a stop sign on a county rd. A fellow cut a corner and hit me. I was standing still. Knocked me 25 ft. Totalled my 06 wing and gave me my first ride in an ambulance. Rattled my cage. The thing I remember most was my head bouncing on the asphalt. I lived to tell about it. Yes I was wearing a helmet. Full face in cold weather, and 3/4 for summer time. I know for a fact they work.

hiflyer
04-07-2014, 07:38 PM
A full face Simpson saved my life in 1986 on a Honda Nighthawk 650! ( hence my 30 years old comment above ) I was on lunch break and a stoplight runner and hit and run A hole pulled out in front of me! Not my fault ( except riding in right lane on 4 lane and not paying attention) at 19 my melon was safe but my body took many months to recover and at my age now I am paying for that damage in my back and knees.
So I decide to be a bad ass Harley rider and wear novelty lids to look cool for many years as a middle aged man. With my experience you would think I know better!:bang head: It just is not in style to wear a big helmet on HD. But now with my F6…I bought a new Shoei Full face and have DOT half helmets as well. I get too hot in the Full Face in Summer but I am going to try to use it as much as I can stand.

My best friend always wore a full face helmet until he got an HD Ultra, he died 3 years ago after a high side while wearing a 1/2 helmet. I miss him every single day, he was also my pastor.

CaptRob
04-07-2014, 10:34 PM
My best friend always wore a full face helmet until he got an HD Ultra, he died 3 years ago after a high side while wearing a 1/2 helmet. I miss him every single day, he was also my pastor.

DANG! That is horrible. I am sorry for your loss of your friend. Im glad it didn't stop you from riding motorcycles!! It is a dangerous hobby and something inside just been nagging me to ride with gear lately. I will learn to deal with the summer heat. I have to talk my wife into looking (unharleylike too) for lack of a better word. She doesn't ride with me often but I sure would hate to survive a crash where she died in a brain bucket that I bought her!

I gotta tell you that while at THE TALE OF THE DRAGON I was people watching and all that while my younger riding buddy wanted to race up and down a few more times than I did. I was wearing all of my new gear on my new Honda and all of the sudden the Harley guys look so lame all dressed the same some with no helmet and most with novelty caps. Ripped off sleeves on denim shirts blah blah blah etc..you know what I'm saying I'm sure. Keep in mind I still own my 2011 Street Glide (until it sells!) I don't really want to associate with that crowd any more. I read in a post last night that I can now sell all of my Village People clothing!! Funny. Anyway thanks for your advise and stories as that will help me to remember to wear the full face even when its HOT!

grendl
04-23-2014, 08:34 PM
I live in Colorado, no helmet laws. But long ago when I learned to ride, I treated the helmet as mandatory.Heavy shoes jeans and sturdy gloves. I always wear it. In my day I drag raced a lot and have seen what happens with and without the helmets. Without it is not pretty and kind of nightmarish. With the helmets what I observed is the scratches from the pavement,one that cracked in half(no damage to the rider) and so on. I have a freind that crashed ,no helmet tore up her face. when she recovered enough to ride - still no helmet.
Another nice thing abut the helmet is bug prevention. I have run through a swarm of bees - a couple still got in but I imagine it would have been worse with no helmet.Got caught in a hailstorm good ol helmet... A June bug feels like a bullet at high speed to me it just makes sense but this IS America
To each his /her own but I ALWAYS wear mine......I'm still a speed freak :icon_redface:

winginitrick
04-28-2014, 02:57 AM
ya know? it is funny. times they are a changing! im 64 now, still riding! been riding for a lot of years. yea, ive gone down twice. one of our (me and my riding buds) favorite sayings to each other was (SUCK IT UP MAN, THATS WHAT HAPPENS ON A MOTORCYCLE!) our bald heads, arms, legs, hands, ears, everything, burned up by the sun!!! people would say, you guys are burned the **** up! and we would just say, yea, that happens when you ride a bike! it was like a badge of HONOR!!!!! one of my buds got hit by a bird right in the neck, while riding and went down and got got rashed up but good. we said, yea, **** happens when you ride a bike!!! when a lady "leffted" right in front of number one in line, and me number two, and he hit the side of her car, and flew over it, and landed in the ditch on the side of the road, while i crashed and burned, to keep from crashing into the side as he did, and we missed four weeks of work, we said, yup, when you ride, ya gotta take the bitter with the sweet. we never even gave ATGATT a second thought! in ohio, at that time, there was no helmet law. even when there was one, if we were not going to ride on the main roads, we would just strap them on the back seat, and stay on the back roads. and really it wasnt the cool factor at that time, cause hell, whos gonna see you on the back roads? we just hated wearing helmets. just sayin, MAN, TIMES ARE SURE DIFFERENT NOW. now its cover your arms so you dont get sunburned, wear a helmet to cover and protect your head, wear an armoured jacket to protect your hide, wear steeled toed boots to protect your feet, and so on and on and on!!!!! but, like we say now, TO EACH HIS OR HER OWN. yall keep on winginit rick :icon_biggrin:

MSGT-R
04-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Let me share a little pic with you guys.

The picture is in the ER after a left turner took me out. I was wearing ALL the gear and a flip up helmet. The side impact with the ground broke the mechanism and the chin bar flipped up while I was still tumbling and knocked out. Thankfully my face is small enough in comparison to the helmet shell to prevent any teeth from being lost.

What do you think my head would look like if I wasn't wearing a helmet when I went over the bars and through my windshield @ 40 mph?

I have another flip up, but it's a $600 Shoei.

Slingah
04-28-2014, 05:47 PM
After reading this thread and putting a few miles on the 6 I went and bought a full faced Arai. This bike is big and powerful I didn't feel right wearing a half helmet anymore.
Great posts in this thread. Makes you think.

CaptRob
04-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Anyone with experience with Schuberth C3 (I think) flip helmet? I am feeling closed in in my Shoei Quest. Their communication looks better than the Chatterbox too.

Kurare79
05-13-2014, 01:08 AM
@CptRob: My wife and i both do have the Schuberth C3 Pro with the communication system (SRC-System). Compared to our previous Helmets from HJC there are big differences in quality (but also in price).

What speaks for the Schuberth:

+ very silent helmet compared to the previous
+ high processing and better materials
+ easy to handle with one hand flip helmet
+ integrated anti polarized sun shield
+ integrated very good working communication system with good speaking quality
+ integrated pin lock visor (don't know the english word, i mean the thing that keeps away mist in the cold)

- price, but it's worth it (i paid about 1300US-$ incl. Tax (Helmet + SRC-System)

smokinjoe187
05-14-2014, 01:49 AM
i to choose to wear a helmet,but not for me...for the people that count on me coming home every day.
i wear a vemar attivo modular helmet size xl,for my daily 60 mile commute.
it fits in my bag
had a shoie and a scorpian neither fit in the bag so they are gone.
i agree it should be a choice,which ever you do
ride safe

CaptRob
05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
@CptRob: My wife and i both do have the Schuberth C3 Pro with the communication system (SRC-System). Compared to our previous Helmets from HJC there are big differences in quality (but also in price).

What speaks for the Schuberth:

+ very silent helmet compared to the previous
+ high processing and better materials
+ easy to handle with one hand flip helmet
+ integrated anti polarized sun shield
+ integrated very good working communication system with good speaking quality
+ integrated pin lock visor (don't know the english word, i mean the thing that keeps away mist in the cold)

- price, but it's worth it (i paid about 1300US-$ incl. Tax (Helmet + SRC-System)
How's the sound quality for music? Or do you only use it for communication?

Kurare79
05-14-2014, 11:04 PM
How's the sound quality for music? Or do you only use it for communication?

I used it also for music before my F6B... but it's a rather mid range sound quality, compared to plugging some speakers directly into the ears from the ipod. The little speakers in the helmet seem to be optimized for speaking and they do a good job for this. I didn't used them again for music, since i have my F6B.

FlatSixBagger
05-27-2014, 01:28 PM
never, unless required by law or it is raining.

hiflyer
05-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Watch the slow mo of these guys heads bouncing off the pavement. No helmet....no brain. To each his own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwlZiArfnYg&list=PL467A2492C0B9CBFF&index=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qi2sq94aKA&list=PL467A2492C0B9CBFF&index=16

Ericb445
05-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Four months ago I voted "sometimes wear one"
I am wearing one full-time now, I lost a riding buddy last week to a 25 mph crash.
A car assumed that he was at a four way stop and pulled out and hit my buddy doing 25. Not one scratch on him but his head injury. Pronounced with no brain activity, they gave him a week to come around he never got better. Very sad story, a Newlywed now dead at 29 due to no helmet. Just sucks.

CaptRob
05-27-2014, 08:52 PM
I try but, I rode to Ocala then Jax last Friday from Atl. I did take my DOT ½ and it was SO hot. I did put my ½ on. I know sweat is better than blood but, I figured most in Fla wear no helmet so ½ was better than nothing. I think summer is for night riding.

FlatSixBagger
05-31-2014, 10:28 AM
I crashed 100 MPH no gear, broken leg, wrist, arm, sternum, collar bone, flat line twice, two years to learn to walk again, then back to riding. Cousin 25 mph every piece of gear imaginable hit pot hole in park 25 mph handle bars hit ribs, rib punctures heart, end of story. When it is your time it will be your time.

wildman
07-14-2014, 02:10 AM
I used to never wear one until they became law in Ca. Now I wear a half shell in summer and a full face in winter. Every summer when I visit Utah I don't wear one at all. They do offer good sun protection on my old bald head though.

Fla_rider
07-14-2014, 08:13 AM
As a MSF Past instructor- I firmly believe in Helmets. "No Helmet, No Brains". Have seen low speed crash in which an head impact left the driver DOA.

SpeedyWho
07-14-2014, 08:26 AM
I choose to wear my full face all the time, I did my research and bought a well made, comfortable helmet that fits me properly. I have a Shoei Quest, it vents well and it has different sized liners to provide a proper fit.

Here in AZ, I like the full face because it also provides sun and wind protection. The sun can burn the hell outta you here. For me that's reason enough.

Scotrod
07-14-2014, 08:29 AM
After seeing what a Shoei RF-1200 full-face helmet looks like after scraping down the highway with my wife's head inside,,, eh,,, 'permanent disfigurement or worse' comes to mind. :icon_frown: (Not a scratch on the wife from the neck up. Thank you Shoei!!! :yes: .notworthy.)

When it's too hot for helmets/mesh jackets, I simply park the bike and take an air-conditioned cage.

Lotsa 'shorts and flip-flop' riders here now,,, I guess they don't have a car... :shrug:

DaWadd
07-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Helmets mandatory here so I always wear one. Shoei QWest for the highway and half helmet in the city during the summer. Also have a Shoei Platinum RJ 3/4 that I wear quite a bit.

Pap
07-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Interesting and sobering posts! I used to be the no shirt, shorts and tennis shoe riding nut. (i'm only referring to me). My wife still considers me a nut, but still loves me.
Pa. used to be a helmet only state until the option was passed. I would occasionally ride helmet-less if i went riding out on back country roads, just puttsying around. Gotta say I felt naked without a helmet, but the air was nice.
Had multiple times where cars pulled out in front of me and STOPPED!!! I was lucky enough to be watching them with the mentality that ALL cars entering the highway WILL pull out in front of you. Two times I slid broadside and stopped right beside them right at their passenger door! I shared some "colorful" conversations with them before they continued on.

I still will ride a few blocks down to get gas without a helmet, but never on highway without one. These posts might just make me think enough that I wear one all the time now.

Thanks for getting this post/poll started. Who knows, it may save a life if someone decides to go to wearing a helmet.

badpapi
07-14-2014, 10:10 AM
i been riding for over 15 years now and i always wear one becuz is mandatory on MA, but i vote (sometimes i wear one) because is not a real helmet is :nono: DoT approved .:shhh:
on the other hand i :spank: my passenger always wear a DOT approved helmet .6901 to each his own .
i will ride without one if there where not mandatory .

shooter
07-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Its the law in MO. I wear one when I go to Illinois. No matter what I would wear one.

Wetrudgeon
07-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Lotsa 'shorts and flip-flop' riders here now,,, I guess they don't have a car...

Oh to be young and indestructible/immortal again...

We were always a bit "tepid" about gear. Then we had occasion to go down hard. With the gear on. Glad we had it. Never ride without a helmet again.

We trudge on.

SpeedyWho
07-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Lotsa 'shorts and flip-flop' riders here now,,, I guess they don't have a car...

Oh to be young and indestructible/immortal again...

We were always a bit "tepid" about gear. Then we had occasion to go down hard. With the gear on. Glad we had it. Never ride without a helmet again.

We trudge on.
My wife is an ER Nurse, I've heard plenty of story's about the guy or the couple who were wearing shorts tee shirts and the wrong footwear. Those are sobering story's

For the brave of heart only, google flip flops on a motorcycle, it is very graphic. You'll never see me without proper footwear on my bike.

Scotrod
07-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Yep. Hamburger or worse.

Lotsa 'stunt' sport bike crash videos out there where the tennis shoes go flying off the feet,,,

Wife and I both use TCX 'Cube Air' boots. Mucho ventilation in a decent 'MC-specific' piece of safety gear. :icon_wink: :yes:

Smoothcruz
07-14-2014, 10:01 PM
ALWAYS, but I'm down to a Scorpion half-helmet due to neck issues.

Fellas, I drove Rescue for years. I saw too many minor bike "drops" turn into a cerebral bleed. If they get the $7000 helicopter ride to a trauma center and get the pressure down with a drill-bit to the skull, they may be ok. I've seen grown men crying and arching their back as the pain in their head from the pressure build-up became unbearable. I've seen beautiful women with partial paralysis (stroke) from a minor accident. Wear your helmets.

Scotrod
07-14-2014, 10:29 PM
For the brave of heart only, google flip flops on a motorcycle, it is very graphic. .

We were warned,,,

https://www.google.com/search?q=flip+flops+on+a+motorcycle&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-ContextMenu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jZ_EU8nZAo3-8AHFz4CgAg&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1536&bih=770

Yep, makes Bobby's rabbit in the bumper pics look downright tame!

Granted, some are bad enough that without knowing what happened, protective footwear may not have prevented it, but,,,,,,,,, YEEEEOWWWWWWWWWWWSAAAAAA!!!

darcym
07-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Always a helmet, always full face since as far back as I can remember. Always try to get the best helmet I can buy - Dad said "Wear a $5 helmet if you have a $5 head."

It's the law here in CA since 1992, ten years after I started riding, but I promised my Dad that I would always wear a helmet, jacket and gloves when riding.

I sometimes wear less than ideal footwear - I've worn flip flops on the scooters (don't have to shift), but I'm rarely going above 50 mph on the scoots if I do. And I sometimes wear soft topped shoes on the other bikes, but my excuse is that I have feet that are extremely difficult to buy shoes for, ever since I was a kid. Women's shoes are too narrow. I fit kid sized shoes better than any other kind (short and wide). Mens shoes are too big. So I've yet to find a motorcycle boot that fits well enough to make me want to wear it.

MSGT-R
07-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Go to Boot Barn on Sports Arena Blvd in San Diego, they have a lot to choose from.:yes:

darcym
07-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Go to Boot Barn on Sports Arena Blvd in San Diego, they have a lot to choose from.:yes:

thanks, been there too.

badpapi
07-15-2014, 06:49 PM
We were warned,,,

https://www.google.com/search?q=flip+flops+on+a+motorcycle&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-ContextMenu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jZ_EU8nZAo3-8AHFz4CgAg&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1536&bih=770

Yep, makes Bobby's rabbit in the bumper pics look downright tame!

Granted, some are bad enough that without knowing what happened, protective footwear may not have prevented it, but,,,,,,,,, YEEEEOWWWWWWWWWWWSAAAAAA!!!

hey i did goggle and this is what it came on . lol jk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu598EhI7LU

grendl
07-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Late posting , but I wear full face helmet, boots and gloves all the time. Wont ride without that. I never wear the pants gear but settle with Levis or heavy jeans. I have jackets with the armor but even my mesh is too heavy for me sometimes and I ride in a Tee shirt.
I live in Colorado so I can choose.I choose to wear all the time.
I street raced when I was younger and have seen what happens when things go wrong. Dont race anymore but still "have burst of enthusiasm" occasionally..well a lot really. Even on my F6B ..
I LIKE the wind and have been thinking about a half shell or the NoLAN helmet I saw at the wing ding this year. It's convertible,you can remove the chin bar and it has a long face sheild with a vent. I'm thinking perfect for the F6....but they make them for round heads,mine is oval....
I choose to ride with a Helmet, I feel everybody can and should be allowed to make a choice on their own.......

ga mike
07-31-2014, 10:15 AM
My wife and I always wear our helmets, and as it turned out, it is a good thing. We were riding back to Helen, GA on 29 May 14, from Highlands NC, when she went down, hard. Her bike did a summersault and she hit the pavement on her left side. Broke 5 ribs, lacerated spleen and various lesser scrapes and bruises. The bike was totaled and I feared she was as well, watching this happen from my mirrors. Her 3/4 helmet was scratched on the entire left front side with a 4inch crack in her Vega helmet. Her shield was down or she would have had severe facial injuries. 7265

Scotrod
07-31-2014, 10:32 AM
Yes, once a person see's the damage a helmet takes during a spill, and then contemplates what those same forces would have done to your bare head, it ain't pretty!!! (My wifes Shoei full face is still on our table, scratched all ta hell from her spill on June 15)

Glad your wife was helmeted up and (assumed to be) healed up. :yes:

Deer Slayer
08-02-2014, 09:45 AM
I have donated my crashed helmets to MSF teachers. :cheers:

RcBtx1999
08-02-2014, 10:20 AM
I can get away with just about any trip I want to take, any accessory I want to buy, whatever, and my wife does make a peep about any of it. She does however get the point across that she always wants me to wear a helmet which is not a problem, because I agree. I wear a Simpson Fullface most of the time with a mirrored shield, then I don't have to wear glasses underneath. It's got wide peripheral field of vision and is as comfortable as a fullface can be, especially great in the rain. My secondary helmet which is really my favorite is a POLICE Super Seer. Until just a few years ago they were not available to civilians. Now they are. Handcrafted and custom painted in Colorado. They do well in Crashes, protected me in all three of my on-duty accidents. They also fit in the saddle bag when you park the bike. They are pricey but worth every dime, and as most of you know, when you are in an accident, your insurer is obligated to purchase you a new helmet of the same or better quality as the one that took the beating in your collision. :stirthepot:

53driver
09-02-2014, 08:23 PM
My wife said if I get any uglier she's leaving me...so Full Face, 24/7/365 it is!

FF-Ed
09-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Living in Ohio, its helmet optional.

That being said, I've crashed many a beautiful motorcycle in my day.

I prefer to ride in long pants, jacket, gloves, boots & a FULL face helmet.
I demand that my kids ride that way too.

Last Saturday, nearly 90*, it was Shorts and a T-shirt. Local riding surface streets... sunglasses no helmet.

Side note: I used to ride with some locals on Okinawa Japan...
alot of them rode in flip flops, and they thought it was cute to show off their missing toes from wrecks.:yikes:

I advocate SHOES! Shoes are a must !!!

srt8-in-largo
09-02-2014, 11:03 PM
I crashed 100 MPH no gear, broken leg, wrist, arm, sternum, collar bone, flat line twice, two years to learn to walk again, then back to riding. Cousin 25 mph every piece of gear imaginable hit pot hole in park 25 mph handle bars hit ribs, rib punctures heart, end of story. When it is your time it will be your time.

Freak accidents aside, helmets and gear provide infinitely better odds of fewer injuries. That's indisputable.

Are you trying to argue the opposite? Or are you saying helmet and gear are irrelevant because death is pre-determined?

And how do you know "when its your time, its your time"? You don't. Nobody does. For all we know, we create our own fate anew each and every day.

Scotrod
09-10-2014, 12:52 PM
My thought are when it's your time, it's your time.

But remember,,,

The Big Guy upstairs requests that you don't act like a bloomin idiot,,, and he reserves the right to reset your clock! :shock:

Kirkster1520
09-10-2014, 01:41 PM
ATGATT :yes: If you don't know what it means, Google it. :icon_biggrin:

FF-Ed
09-10-2014, 05:58 PM
I get it, you want to live forever without scars ,blisters or even as much as a hangnail.
Roger, I get that... But why harp on endlessly on why it's the way I should ride.

I think anyone over the age of 18 who doesn't realize how much a helmet could help them is probably in denial. One look at Gary Busse and I know a helmet is the way to go.

But when I see someone flying down the road with no helmet or even shoes, I don't feel the need to chase them down and tell them the error of their ways.

Who Cares?

In the past, I have wrecked wearing a helmet, without wearing a helmet and one time I wrecked without wearing a helmet, shirt, shoes or even pants.... :moon: :yikes:

I love fall / winter / spring riding, fully covered... Helmet gloves jacket boots long pants... But when it's 90*, occasionally I'm gonna go for it... I know the risks... I have been warned

Take care of yourself & mind your own business ....

Scotrod
09-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Who's harping on and on? :shrug:

Deer Slayer
09-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Who's harping on and on? :shrug:

I think this thread has reached it's bitter end as is said in the sailing world. SCOTT u get home yet from Franklin? I did enjoy the time wid ja. :039::cheers:

Scotrod
09-11-2014, 07:00 PM
YES we did!
Spent the days after Frank in Maggie V / Asheville, rolled 17 hrs straight on the following Friday to get home,,,

THANK YOU for helpin the Mrs and for the good times!!! .notworthy.:yes::cheers:

Deer Slayer
09-11-2014, 09:14 PM
YES we did!
Spent the days after Frank in Maggie V / Asheville, rolled 17 hrs straight on the following Friday to get home,,,

THANK YOU for helpin the Mrs and for the good times!!! .notworthy.:yes::cheers:

Very Welcome. :cheers:

motoman
09-24-2014, 03:20 PM
FWIW, I always wear a condom when I'm 'riding' a strange chick.

You never know. :icon_cool:

zeus661
09-24-2014, 03:31 PM
This picture of the helmet is from my accident a few weeks ago.

Sure glad I had it on.

opas ride
09-24-2014, 03:48 PM
I agree with some above posts...that this thread has served its purpose and it is fairly obvious from the results that most riders value their heads more than their egos!!....

Ryo
09-25-2014, 03:42 AM
In Italy is not a choice... We are FORCED to wear the helmet by approx 25 years. I remember in 1987 there wasn't a law yet about wearing an helmet...

RcBtx1999
09-26-2014, 07:36 PM
A Police Super Seer!

valkmc
10-13-2014, 11:28 AM
FWIW, I always wear a condom when I'm 'riding' a strange chick.

You never know. :icon_cool:

LOL, I like that, get married and you wont have to worry about it.......

I have 3 helmets, 1/2, and 2 3/4. I wear one most of the time. Still like this Saturday with perfect weather and on some lonely roads I took it off and stuck it in my saddle bag. I did spend many years without one while riding my 1998 Valk. A quick flop on my C-14 on the way back from Alaska was enough to make me realize I should wear one often.

cosborn
10-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Helmets are mandatory here in AU. Rumour going around that shortly the Insurance companies are not going to insure you in an accident if you are not wearing at least 5 items of protective gear, and that does not mean two boots and two gloves, still only a rumour.

Chris

srt8-in-largo
10-13-2014, 07:37 PM
With the right helmet, riding is MORE enjoyable than going without one.

On hot sunny days the helmet and tinted visor keeps the sun off my head and out of my eyes. I can go with a hat and sunglasses but you'll always encounter just the right buffeting that'll wanna blow your hat off and knock your shades sideways.

On cool rainy days the helmet keeps me dry and the bullet rain drops off my face.

However, the ride to the beach, cruising, or getting groceries is a non-helmet affair.

red dog
10-15-2014, 10:03 PM
when I was 14 my friends mother rolled off a the back of a rigid framed Harley shovelhead motorcycle while riding double with a member of the saintant slaves motorcycle club on the 405 fwy.......a semi truck truck ran over her head killing her instantly......leaving five children.......another friend of mine simply fell over while stopped at a light, wacking his head on the ground resulting I severe head trauma.....he has the mind of a child now........my best friends son crashed his bike in the canyon....he had a full face helmit on.....he was in a comma for two weeks......three years ago some kid showed up at our camp out ........hung around the bon fire telling us all how great it was now that he finally got a bike....he was wearing one of those thin little chicken shit half helmits .......a week later he ceterepunched a car being driven by an illeagle alien making an illeagle uturn over a double yellow line killing him instantly........his brother told me that his head looked like a pile of bloody mashed potatoes when he identified the body...........six of my friends have been killed on motorcycles........I wear a helmit......always........

hiflyer
10-15-2014, 10:44 PM
About 6:50 a.m. Wednesday, Leader was driving a motorcycle west on State Highway 59, about one mile west of Wewoka city limits in Seminole County.

Campbell was a passenger.

Leader struck a deer that was standing in the roadway, and he and Campbell were ejected from the motorcycle. They were not wearing helmets, troopers said.

Happened this morning, would they have survived wearing helmets? We'll never know.

Kurare79
10-15-2014, 11:30 PM
The arguing to wear a helmet or not reminds me of discussions my older friends hand, when companies introduced ABS in motorcycles. The hardcore bikers all hated it and blamed it to even make the breaking distance longer.
Then the instructors showed the sport bikers how much advantage und higher security is given by ABS and the first bikes in the MotoGP and on the Isle of Man made victories. So there was a change in their mind... and today noone would ever by a bike without ABS in Germany. Everyone even would like to have the new ABS from the Company BOSCH that makes it even safer to make a full breaking while cornering. The system is only available for the KTM Adventure 1190 and since a few weeks also for a sports bike from BMW. This will be the next thing every bike will have in a few years.

There were the same discussions in the 70's to wear or not to wear a seat belt in the car. Today nobody even thinks about not wearing a seat belt... he also wants to have at least 5 airbags and the most modern pre-crash safety systems. (At least in Germany.)

Don't get me wrong, i am not judging, i just want to tell you, how different thinking can be if you go over the ocean :icon_biggrin:

In a german bike board the members are arguing about to wear or not to wear protective gear if driving 500 meters to a Star Bucks. About 80% of them would call everybody driving in normal jeans totally crazy.

That's Germany. But just go 700 miles down to Italy at the ocean. You see driving them in muscle shirts and short trousers on sport bikes and that's ok for them. Every german seeing this would only shake his head :icon_mrgreen:

So different can be peoples mind.

srt8-in-largo
10-16-2014, 11:06 PM
That picture is registering on the Gaydar :icon_biggrin:

Spewey Griffin
10-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Another good read....thanks.

Even though helmets are compulsory in this country, it's been interesting reading about what fits or doesn't in the panniers. I'm picking my B up in a couple of weeks and have been looking around for some new gear to go with it. Everything I've seen to date on the B suggests that the bags take helmets, when now I know they might take some. I'll now shop prudently for a helmet that'll fit in the bag when I'm off the bike.

I guess my next question is does the B have an external helmet lock?

Kurare79
10-17-2014, 12:43 AM

Yes, it's on the left side on the passengers handle bar. I use it often.

Spewey Griffin
10-17-2014, 02:13 AM
Thanks Kurare79 :yes:

Kirkster1520
10-17-2014, 07:26 AM

Something I use to lock my full face helmet when I wear it, (sometimes I wear a open face helmet), is a carabiner with a combination lock. Bought it online for about $13. I can secure the helmet to the passenger grab handles by the d-rings in the helmet strap. This works well and leaves the helmet secure. I'm also planning on getting a cable so I can lock my jacket and helmet together if I want to walk around somewhere and leave those items on the bike. Just some food for thought.

Kurare79
10-17-2014, 02:02 PM
@Kirkster: That's exactly the way i do it, when we are going on big tour and the saddle bags are full :yes:

F6BPDX
10-17-2014, 03:12 PM
@Kirkster: That's exactly the way i do it, when we are going on big tour and the saddle bags are full :yes:

That helmet is secured to a mirror....that can be unscrewed by hand....seems a wee bit ineffective. :shhh:

Kurare79
10-17-2014, 04:59 PM
😄👍 It's just an advertising picture for the lock system from Schuberth.

nomercyambulance
10-20-2014, 09:35 AM
I am not the biggest fan of helmets but I made a promise
to the parental units and I shall abide by those words.

DJL951
10-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Here's my two cents worth. I totally get the mentality of "freedom of choice", but, I saw a scenario play out about five years ago that changed my thinking. I have a friend whose 19 year old daughter was following a motorcycle and they both pulled into a right hand turn lane. The motorcyclist then slammed on his brakes because a pedestrian stepped out into the crosswalk. My friends daughter couldn't quite stop in time and she barely bumped the motorcycle. The motorcycle tipped and but the rider stayed on his feet, but as he was trying to maintain his balance he tripped over the curb and hit his head on a steel newspaper dispensing machine. 6 days later he passed away from a brain bleed. And the daughter was prosecuted for vehicular manslaughter! I know she was at fault, but, had the rider been wearing a helmet, he would be here today and the daughter would not have received a 3 year jail sentence (of which she only actually served 13 months).

Steve 0080
11-18-2014, 08:30 AM
 It's just an advertising picture for the lock system from Schuberth.

I am going to buy a Schuberth C-3 Pro, already have the Scala system....

shooter
11-18-2014, 09:30 AM
For those of you that don't believe in helmets go to m109r forums , General topics and click on Rockfordrider goes down hard. Scroll down till you find pics of his injuries. He was pulling out of a parking lot. Barely moving. Helmet on and he would have walked away. The site will let visitors view this. Food for thought.

Kurare79
11-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Direct link to the topic shooter mentioned: http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248841&page=6&highlight=rockfordrider+hard

shooter
11-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the backup K.

Old Ryder
11-18-2014, 05:41 PM
As has been stated, here in NC you don't have a choice----and I am fine with that. Same with seat belts and I was wearing them long before ANY state passed the law requiring them. I have a variety of lids from half helmets (Harley, HJC, Scoripon, Bell Pit Boss) and 2 three quarter, both Bell. At bike weeks in Fla and SC I generally do not wear one, but that is city and urban riding for the most part. Riding is a dangerous sport with or without a helmet---so is riding in a car and I know people who have choked to death while eating. It may just be me fooling myself, but I feel safer riding in jeans and a tee shirt in SC city and backroads than I do wearing a ton of gear while running the speed limit on I-40 getting there.

All that being said, it is the smart thing to do. BTW---I had a cousin get killed on a bike back in the 90's. A Helmet still won't protect you against foolishness.

tinknocker
11-19-2014, 09:08 PM
I along with my wife(she rides her own) wear our helmets 95% of the time even though they are not required here in Ohio. There have been many times that 10 or so bikes were together and we are the only ones wearing helmets. I feel that it's only a matter of time before the insurance lobbyists and the law makers pass helmet laws for highway money the same as they did seat belt laws. Until then I will continue to wear my lid anyway.

austin_tech
11-20-2014, 07:53 AM
I feel that it's only a matter of time before the insurance lobbyists and the law makers pass helmet laws for highway money the same as they did seat belt laws.

I need to figure out how to go through life blaming everything on the government, too. It must be liberating.

austin_tech
11-20-2014, 11:00 AM
For those of you that don't believe in helmets go to m109r forums , General topics and click on Rockfordrider goes down hard. Scroll down till you find pics of his injuries. He was pulling out of a parking lot. Barely moving. Helmet on and he would have walked away. The site will let visitors view this. Food for thought.

I wasn't able to find a description of what caused the accident or any details, went through about seven pages of posts. Where did they discuss the accident?

The pictures are pretty bad. If I understand correctly, he was towing a trailer -- with an M109???

shooter
11-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Pulling out if a parking lot or station turned and got on it a little and lost it us the way I understood. Something about the trailer whipped around making the situation worse. It was very low speed. Dave had pulled this trailer thousands of miles and was an excellent rider.

Old Ryder
11-20-2014, 12:14 PM
A saying that has stuck with me over the years:

Everybody crashes at some point. Some ride again--some don't---some can't.

Motorcycle riding is a life changing experience for a lot of people-- not always for the good. A very sad and true fact. I have a friend that bought his first bike and crashed before he got home. It literally cost him his right arm--all the way up to his shoulder--HIS FIRST RIDE. My last crash was at at 22 years of age in September 1977--still remember it well because of MY STUPIDITY. Got up, straightened out a few things and rode home. Road rash and tore up my best jeans and sprained my knee. Best education at a small price I ever had.

Stack the deck as much as you can in your favor.

sshake1905
11-20-2014, 04:22 PM
I bought my first motorcycle in 1964, the day after I got my license in Idaho at 15 years old. I had been riding since 10 years old on my parent's farm. I started racing flat track and cross country -desert races at age 16 and a basic 3/4 helmet literally saved my life 3 times during the 10 years I raced.
Gave up on the dirt bike racing at age 26 and started to ride road bikes. Have had about 17 road bikes in the last 40 years.....always wore a helmet, because I know what it is to fly over the bars, head first, assholes and elbows, and view your life story flash by....before you hit something....
My latest helmet SAVE was in July of 2008....had a basic 3/4 helmet and goggles on, plus leathers and gloves....got off at 50 MPH on pavement....the pavement wore the right side of helmet flat down through the fiberglass, tore off the shield/visor snaps on that side...but stayed on my head I didn't even lose my goggles or glasses as I rolled down the road....didn't bleed a drop....no marks
But the landing wasn't good for a 58 year old body....3 broken ribs, a punctured lung and 30 K worth of titinium hardware in my lower back....but, I would have toast without that old brain bucket...
I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the 16 days in the hospital, my daughter wedding 2 weeks later, and every things that's happened since then....
I had to take 18 months off to rehab...before I bought a new VTX in Feb of 2010 ( 52,000 mi)
and then I got my 2013 F6B in July of 2014....which is the best road bike I've ever owned....

Obviously....I wear a helmet 100% of the time. The way I see it....people riding a motorcycle without a helmet have never been "over the bars"...and are waiting for their first, and maybe their last, get-off...

Bowhunter1800
11-20-2014, 06:58 PM
My wife and I wear our helmets only sometimes. Close friends of ours wrecked last month on their bike when someone pulled out in front of them. You might know them. Hambly434 and wife. After seeing their scraped up helmets we have decided to always wear our helmets. I've heard people say "You have a legal right to bounce your head off the blacktop anywhere you want in Illinois". I used to find that humorous until it hit a little closer to home!!

tinknocker
11-20-2014, 07:23 PM
I need to figure out how to go through life blaming everything on the government, too. It must be liberating.

This is exactly what happened here in Ohio. The state was threatened by loss of federal highway money unless they passed a seat belt law. The insurance lobby will soon figure out a way to get helmet laws passed. And yes it is liberating:th_sunbathe:

Steve 0080
11-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Schuberth's new helmet is pretty hot !!!

http://www.schuberth.de/M1/?lang=en

Old Ryder
11-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Bell Mag 9 Sena is one of my favorites

fxdl2051
11-27-2014, 03:13 AM
Bathing, shopping, libertine sex... I never remove my helmet.

Limoles
12-19-2014, 11:47 PM
One head - One life - only ONE OPTION - Wear it !

Without HELMET I couldn't enjoy my rides EVER !

Amipro
12-20-2014, 04:08 PM
I always wear a helmet. Half helmet for riding/crawling in parades. Other than that it is a full face helmet (Snell rated or better, not just DOT) for me. BTW the wife (she rides her own) wears hers all the time too.

XHarley
12-20-2014, 10:39 PM
With the stock F6B windshield a full face helmet is almost mandatory if riding at any speed.
HJC CL-17

vstar09
12-20-2014, 11:18 PM
Wear a 1/2 but thinking about geting a 3/4 for out on the freeway.....quieter.....

motozeke
12-27-2014, 09:34 PM

I read that thread in its entirety. So first--glad to see he is on the mend, if a long and tough road. I always wish a fellow rider long life and health.

But to depersonalize this (because I'm not going to kick a fellow rider while he's down and I truly wish him the best), I noted that the plea went out for donations for assistance with his medical bills. Isn't that another obvious reason why we should not think of helmet use as a purely personal choice? Because if we go down hard, as this man did, and we don't have a helmet, the medical bills (if we're lucky, and funeral expenses if we're not) will land on our loved ones or society. So no, it is not a purely personal decision unless you are able to carry the freight yourself for entirely preventable injuries.

bigbird
12-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Because if we go down hard, as this man did, and we don't have a helmet, the medical bills (if we're lucky, and funeral expenses if we're not) will land on our loved ones or society. So no, it is not a purely personal decision unless you are able to carry the freight yourself for entirely preventable injuries.

As you probably know, in Canada we have free universal medical care. So our government has every right to insist and enforce our wearing of helmets, as it's every taxpayer who ends up footing the bill for all medical care.

I gladly make the trade off of freedom of choice for no cost medical.

Limoles
12-28-2014, 04:46 PM
As you probably know, in Canada we have free universal medical care. So our government has every right to insist and enforce our wearing of helmets, as it's every taxpayer who ends up footing the bill for all medical care.

I gladly make the trade off of freedom of choice for no cost medical.

You are one lucky bird and we agree with you ...

53driver
12-28-2014, 10:49 PM
You are one lucky bird and we agree with you ...

Not sure I'm in total agreement. However, in the spirit of choices, I do believe that those who choose not to use a helmet should be held responsible and accountable for their own medical.

shooter
12-28-2014, 11:16 PM
I agree with 53. I hate restrictions. However if you choose to be careless it should be on you. I believe riding without a helmet is foolish. But you can do it if you want.

motozeke
12-28-2014, 11:30 PM
I agree with 53. I hate restrictions. However if you choose to be careless it should be on you. I believe riding without a helmet is foolish. But you can do it if you want.

And back in Realityland, who is ever going to check their net worth before deciding whether or not to wear a helmet? Most blokes don't even check their tire pressure.

Mandatory helmet laws is one of the easiest ways to save lives and unnecessary injury, at the minuscule cost of depriving people of the option of making a dumbass decision about whether or not to wear a helmet.

53driver
12-29-2014, 07:45 AM
And back in Realityland, who is ever going to check their net worth before deciding whether or not to wear a helmet? Most blokes don't even check their tire pressure.

Mandatory helmet laws is one of the easiest ways to save lives and unnecessary injury, at the minuscule cost of depriving people of the option of making a dumbass decision about whether or not to wear a helmet.

Reality-land? As in California? Y'all so used to having Pelosi and Feinstein make your choices for you, you surely have forgotten what having a choice actually is. Starbucks or Dunkin'? Hmmm.

Everyone knows if they have proper medical coverage/mishap insurance - in fact, in part thanks to those two elected clowns - it is MANDATORY now. You do, or you get fined.

If you want a "mandatory" statute, how about a mandatory MSF course before one can be licensed to ride a motorcycle? And then perhaps follow-on courses get a mandated insurance reduction?

OBTW, I ALWAYS wear a Full Face helmet because I agree that the risk isn't worth the benefits - but it is my educated, informed choice which I shall advocate to others, but not force upon them.
This isn't a Socialist country - yet - in spite of many elected officials' actions.

Food for thought: how many "minuscule costs" are taken before liberty is eroded?

bob109
12-29-2014, 09:17 AM
That "orb' which resides on ones shoulders is a precious and fragile thing. The ability to use it is a gift beyond comprehension. There are enough calamities throughout life that can harm/injure the contents and quickly turn that orb into a useless container. Many years ago I certified as a EMT (Emergency Medical Technician). Not long after, I was on a ambulance run responding to a cycle accident. Having the first hand opportunity to observe a victim laying on the hard ground with the content of their skull weeping from their nostrils and ear canals has left a indelible mark in my mind and on my soul. More profound was the fact that I knew the victim and his family. Helmets are cheap....heads and their contents are priceless. It's not hard to understand why Emergency Room Doctors and Nurses are the biggest supporters of "Helmet Laws". The great thing about choice is to "connect that choice to reason". That requires tiny grey brain matter and neurons to communicate. Having that precious cargo strewn over some highway or curbstone can quickly and permanently sever all connections:icon_frown:

Ones choice to become a "Ward of the State" and be on "Life Support" with no "Living Will" or "Advanced Directive" is a personal choice. It's unfortunate that they have passed that responsibility of "when to finally pull the plug" on family:icon_frown:

53driver
12-29-2014, 09:31 AM
That "orb' which resides on ones shoulders is a precious and fragile thing. The ability to use it is a gift beyond comprehension. There are enough calamities throughout life that can harm/injure the contents and quickly turn that orb into a useless container. Many years ago I certified as a EMT (Emergency Medical Technician). Not long after, I was on a ambulance run responding to a cycle accident. Having the first hand opportunity to observe a victim laying on the hard ground with the content of their skull weeping from their nostrils and ear canals has left a indelible mark in my mind and on my soul. More profound was the fact that I knew the victim and his family. Helmets are cheap....heads and their contents are priceless. It's not hard to understand why Emergency Room Doctors and Nurses are the biggest supporters of "Helmet Laws". The great thing about choice is to "connect that choice to reason". That requires tiny grey brain matter and neurons to communicate. Having that precious cargo strewn over some highway or curbstone can quickly and permanently sever all connections:icon_frown:

Ones choice to become a "Ward of the State" and be on "Life Support" with no "Living Will" or "Advanced Directive" is a personal choice. It's unfortunate that they have passed that responsibility of "when to finally pull the plug" on family:icon_frown:

Well put. Having another human die in your arms is never forgotten.
Everyone should have a living will or Advanced Directive - especially if you engage in potentially deadly recreational activities like motorcycling, parachuting, or even commuting on the 95 or 405 in a cage.
Don't make it harder on those you leave behind.

motozeke
12-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Food for thought: how many "minuscule costs" are taken before liberty is eroded?

I'd be satisfied with the government telling me I have to wear a helmet (which would be dumb and incredibly irresponsible for me to disobey anyway). I see that as a zero threat to liberty.

On the other hand, this is the same government with forfeiture laws enforced by local police forces to their own benefit (read up on this if you haven't; it will make your blood boil), that reads our emails and text messages, that snoops on our phone calls, strip searches us at airports, tells us what drugs we can and cannot take, and who we can and cannot marry.

I think the libertarian agenda should have many more and bigger fish to fry before working its way down to helmet laws.

53driver
12-29-2014, 12:10 PM
I'd be satisfied with the government telling me _____?????_______. I see that as a zero threat to liberty.
Where do you draw the line? And at what point do you actively object?

On the other hand, this is the same government with forfeiture laws enforced by local police forces to their own benefit (read up on this if you haven't; it will make your blood boil), that reads our emails and text messages, that snoops on our phone calls, strip searches us at airports, tells us what drugs we can and cannot take, and who we can and cannot marry.
I agree wholeheartedly. And yes, it pisses me off to no end.

I think the libertarian agenda should have many more and bigger fish to fry before working its way down to helmet laws.
Maybe it does. I am not a "Libertarian" by label or marque. I do firmly believe that "less gov't" is better than more.
When the traffic on the DC beltway is no longer congested, I'll take that as a sign the gov't is getting its own act under control.

opas ride
12-29-2014, 02:00 PM
If one does not like living in the USA and its Government intrusions in your life, try living in China, North Korea, Russian or the Middle East for a while and then decide what is the best place to be....!!!..I don't like the way our Government operates very much either, but it beats the "crap" out of most other countries to make our lives somewhat easier...JMHO

hiflyer
12-29-2014, 02:12 PM
If one does not like living in the USA and its Government intrusions in your life, try living in China, North Korea, Russian or the Middle East for a while and then decide what is the best place to be....!!!..I don't like the way our Government operates very much either, but it beats the "crap" out of most other countries to make our lives somewhat easier...JMHO

Thanks Opas! Agree totally, and.........if you don't like it, then get out. I think there are thousands and thousands doing everything they can to get here.

Old Ryder
12-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Well, looking at the topic of the thread from the OP................................................ ........................................

Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. :stirthepot:

ReserveBum
12-29-2014, 04:50 PM
I wear a full face all the time. Its mandatory here in NY but I wear it everywhere, regardless of its required or not. I did have a time in my life in TX where I did not wear unless I had to go on base where they were mandatory. I understand those who choose not to wear but for me its just too obvious that it really saves lives...... plus its lightweight, great in the rain, has great visibility, and is pretty quiet.

hiflyer
12-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Well, looking at the topic of the thread from the OP................................................ ........................................

Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. :stirthepot:

A topic without a debate? Not happening.

53driver
12-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Thanks Opas! Agree totally, and.........if you don't like it, then get out. I think there are thousands and thousands doing everything they can to get here.

Y'all crack me up. No one mentioned anything about "not liking living in the USA" but undeniably, the government intrusions are getting more and more persistent and impertinent.
Relative to other countries, well, duh. No kidding. I wore a uniform for over 29 years. I've been to other countries. Australia, Philippines, China, Korea, Kuwait, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, xxxistan. I've seen what they do and that's totally irrelevant to the debate.

My point was that the US gov't is getting too big for its britches, is impeding freedom of choices while completely restricting others, has managed to outspend the taxpayers' affordability of the #2 economy on the planet, and when there are already too many laws for the current Dept of Justice to enforce, the answer - according to many - is obviously a larger enforcement branch. Welcome to the Matrix. At what point do "We the People" say enough? I recommend a thorough reading of the Constitution and see if you like where the country is headed....

hiflyer
12-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Y'all crack me up. No one mentioned anything about "not liking living in the USA"" I recommend a thorough reading of the Constitution and see if you like where the country is headed....

I'm old enough to see the changes that are taking place. I don't like it either. I've read the constitution many times. My post was not directed at anyone here on the board, rather as a broad paintbrush to those in this country who do nothing but complain about it. I just read an article that said that in the 1990's only 20% of Russians had a bad view of the US. Today that number is 76%. (See Drudge report). Thank you for your service to our country.

53driver
12-29-2014, 09:43 PM
I've read the Constitution many times. Thank you for your service to our country.

Thank you for reading the Constitution. So many have not and so many more don't care.
It was an honor and privilege to serve this country. You are so welcome.
Cheers!

motozeke
12-30-2014, 12:12 PM
I just read an article that said that in the 1990's only 20% of Russians had a bad view of the US. Today that number is 76%.

Welcome to the Putin era. He has been using state-owned media to stoke anti-American sentiment for quite a few years now, and it's working. Big surprise there.

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2014/07/29/putins-anti-american-rhetoric-now-persuades-his-harshest-critics/

Limoles
01-01-2015, 01:44 PM
To the list of reasons you might not wear a bike helmet – they’re hot, they muss your hair, they’re massively dorky – Swedish company Hövding adds one more: they just don’t work that well. Luckily, they have a solution.

In 2006, Lund University industrial design students Anna Haupt and Terese Alstin decided to invent a better helmet as a class project. The first obstacle to overcome was aesthetic; people (notably the two students) simply don’t like to wear helmets. But their research also found that traditional plastic and foam brain buckets allow G-forces that lead to fatalities in an alarmingly high percentage of accidents. Their breakthrough design – a motion-triggered inflatable helmet – shields a much greater portion of the head and neck, and provides a softer landing.

Navvet
01-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Thank you for reading the Constitution. So many have not and so many more don't care.
Cheers!

+1 :yes: (and any other little icon's that express agreement)

My wife and I have read the constitution and like you, have spent lots of years all over the world .....

It's concerning to us the direction this country is going in.

And we both feel it was an honor and privilege to serve this country ......

And that the 2 cents worth of a couple of retired Navy Chiefs ......

53driver
01-02-2015, 02:15 PM
And that the 2 cents worth of a couple of retired Navy Chiefs ......

My spouse wore khaki for 24+ years. I wore khaki for 4 years at Canoe U - where we met, then went to USMC khaki & green.
No truer words: "ALWAYS trust the Chief!"

Thank you both for your service and the PITA to serve through multiple duty stations and disjointed detailers.
Cheers,
Steve

Navvet
01-02-2015, 10:56 PM
My spouse wore khaki for 24+ years. I wore khaki for 4 years at Canoe U - where we met, then went to USMC khaki & green.
No truer words: "ALWAYS trust the Chief!"

Thank you both for your service and the PITA to serve through multiple duty stations and disjointed detailers.
Cheers,
Steve

:cheers: Thanks to you and yours also .....

luisjromero
01-04-2015, 12:32 PM
I always use helmet, first cos here in Europe is compulsory to wear it and second cos im craneo-maxillofacial surgeon and I've seen awful injuries after motorcycle crash...

I use a Schuberth C3 Pro

53driver
06-04-2015, 10:08 PM
I'm going to have to look at a Schuberth.....because if it's good enough for a
...craneo-maxillofacial surgeon...it's going to be good enough for me.

srt8-in-largo
06-04-2015, 11:05 PM
:crackup:

Nothing like reviving a thread for a good one-liner

Nibelunge
06-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Hi,

guys, here in Europe there is no doubt now about wearing a helmet. The dicussion about yes/not has been, if any, 40 years ago.

Nobody here speaks about losing rights or intrusion in how your life has to be. An overall protection when riding a bike, regardless which type of bike, is not something we shall disuss, sorry.

Please think about your family.
And the Government/insurances think about consecuences for their budgets.

I kindly beg you not to missunderstand this, it´s for you and your relatives. It´s something you should do without even losing a second.

Even the quick trip to the bakery, helmet and gloves for sure.

The discussion has to be, which one is more convenient to me? I use System Evo from BMW, but it doesn´t fit the saddle bags of our bike (in right one only with violent closing)
HJC RPHA MAx fittes well both sides.

Best regards
Alex

Mastergunny
06-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Is there a vote button our do we just post?

I wear mine about half the time. Not safe, but I am an adult. I don't know how many times I have seen this question posed with the caveat to just vote and keep your personal opinions to your self. I guess we just can't help it.

"To each his own!"

Period.

53driver
06-09-2015, 06:12 PM
Is there a vote button our do we just post?

I wear mine about half the time. Not safe, but I am an adult. I don't know how many times I have seen this question posed with the caveat to just vote and keep your personal opinions to your self. I guess we just can't help it.

"To each his own!"

Period.

If you have not voted, there should be a button...if you have voted, your choice will be italicized.

shooter
06-11-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm going to have to look at a Schuberth.....because if it's good enough for a it's going to be good enough for me.

You can't even type it!! Much less say it.LMAO

53driver
06-12-2015, 06:20 AM

I might have had an adult beverage, or three, prior to typing that.....:icon_doh:

53driver
06-12-2015, 06:53 AM
I use a Schuberth C3 Pro

I'm going to have to look at a Schuberth.....because if it's good enough (for the doc) it's going to be good enough for me.

Upon further review: I was following the doc's spelling....not the medicine in the scotch bottle. :icon_mrgreen:

buckeyeken47
06-22-2015, 11:35 PM

Madmax
06-23-2015, 11:24 AM
We just pulled a guy out of the woods the other day , harley guy no helmet on him or his girl .
He lost it on a turn and we seen him go right in the woods ... We got them out , from what I seen he needed a new eye socket and jaw ... that was a mess and his girl she got off easy broken clavical and some scratches .
Harley guy saved by a bunch of guys on jap bikes ... LOL

Old Ryder
06-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Cheers!

In the beginning, the government was set up as a service and leaders were elected to serve the people. Now it is the reverse.

Old Ryder
06-23-2015, 12:04 PM
We just pulled a guy out of the woods the other day , harley guy no helmet on him or his girl .
He lost it on a turn and we seen him go right in the woods ... We go them out , from what I seen he needed a new eye socket and jaw ... that was a mess and his girl she got off easy broken clavical and some scratches .
Harley guy saved by a bunch guys of jap bikes ... LOL

You guys are going to get me into the full face or at least my 3/4 all the time if you keep posting like this. WOW. :yikes: Got my first bike in 1977. Had my first accident in 1977--got off easy with minor road rash and walked home. Had my last accident the same day. I guess it takes posts like these to keep you alert.

Random one
09-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Nothing bleeds like a head wound. A severe facial fracture and you can bleed to death or drown in your own blood in less than five minutes if it does not kill you out right.

Wing'n it
09-03-2015, 02:32 PM
To the list of reasons you might not wear a bike helmet – they’re hot, they muss your hair, they’re massively dorky – Swedish company Hövding adds one more: they just don’t work that well. Luckily, they have a solution.

In 2006, Lund University industrial design students Anna Haupt and Terese Alstin decided to invent a better helmet as a class project. The first obstacle to overcome was aesthetic; people (notably the two students) simply don’t like to wear helmets. But their research also found that traditional plastic and foam brain buckets allow G-forces that lead to fatalities in an alarmingly high percentage of accidents. Their breakthrough design – a motion-triggered inflatable helmet – shields a much greater portion of the head and neck, and provides a softer landing.

This was intended for bicyclist not motorcyclist, I have read many articles about it in cycling magazines. Never seen it mentioned in any motorcycle print but I could have missed it.

Rudy
09-03-2015, 07:36 PM
I always wear a full face helmet. It just feels right and makes sense to me. I have a friend who was an EMT and his first call was a motorcycle crash. He said the guy had a 3/4 helmet on but his nose and chin looked like someone took a belt sander to him. :shock:

seadog
09-03-2015, 07:37 PM
If you need one and don't have one you probably won't need one again!:yikes::yikes:

Rudy
09-03-2015, 08:02 PM
There was a guy killed on his motorcycle last summer just a half mile from my house. Lost it on a turn, hit a guide rail and bounced back across the road. A picture of the wrecked bike in the local paper showed the bike with a full face helmet strapped to the seat rails. :shrug::shrug: Makes you wonder, what if?? I think about that every time I drive past the cross and flowers that now mark the spot.

Baytown
09-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Mandatory in Australia, and I only wear a quality full face.
Ive gotten use to my face over the years and brain injury isnt something I seek.
I just dont understand why you would risk your head with poor quality or no helmet.:banghead:
Ride safe everyone.

Ken

willtill
09-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Definitely; I will always wear a helmet. And a face shield. Getting hit by a large bug in the face at speed; really hurts.

willtill
09-10-2015, 06:06 PM
-/Snip/-

so to prolong my riding season I "learned" to accept and use a full-face. Once I got used to it, I liked it and now ride year round

-/Snip/-

THIS is key to accepting; and wearing a helmet.

hardtail
09-11-2015, 12:47 PM
In WV it is law. We have to. Given a choice I might wear one in nasty weather(cold or rain). Otherwise no.

willtill
09-13-2015, 05:30 PM
I have to get back into the habit of wearing my full face modular again.. I've been wearing my three quarter almost constantly this last spring/summer.

shooter
10-12-2015, 08:45 AM
THIS is key to accepting; and wearing a helmet.

So true. None of us like change so the helmet thing can be difficult. I wore a full face from the beginning. Coming off of dirt bikes with a full helmet it was easy. Been wearing them since the seventies. These days I have a couple Shoei Neotec's. Best helmet and mist comfortable I've worn.

Brewdog
10-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Wearing a helmet is a personal decision and should not be legislated by any government, unless the person is under 18 years old. Government is suffocating the people with new legislation.

I've watched PA go from not requiring helmets, to "mandatory helmet" and now back to "no helmet law." I wear a helmet all the time, but I don't believe anyone of age should be forced to.

my 2 cents

GHOSTRACER
10-12-2015, 10:20 AM
I've always worn a good quality helmet. Would feel naked without one, kinda like seat belts.

BEIST
02-15-2016, 07:03 AM
According to the law here in PA you do not have to wear a helmet but I always do. Prefer to wear a full face. Just bought two new helmets this year from Revzilla. The Bell is modular and for $199 I just could not pass it up. The other is an Icon Alliance Dark Helmet that came with both a clear and a dark shield for $150. I saw an article reviewing the F6B, when it was first released in 2013, and I really liked the image they presented of this guy all "blacked out" carving down a mountain road with that Icon helmet on. I believe the secret to wearing a helmet is to have multiple styles of helmets to choose from = just to keep you enthused about wearing one. That way you can always give yourself a fighting chance. It is so easy to tell yourself: "I'm just going for a little putt. Just a scoot around the block. I don't need a helmet today." But you will never know when you will need one. I went down in 1979 and the front of my "Darth Vader Style" Simpson helmet was absolutely ruined. God Bless my Dad for buying me that expensive helmet, back when I was just a young dumb kid, and begging me: "Son, please, wear it for me."

wjduke
02-15-2016, 07:46 AM
First of all, Mass has a helmet law...the only state in the area that does, so no choice there. Not new news, but I got hit by a cager in April 2014, and my helmet hit the road. I always wore one before that and always will, no matter what.

Nero
02-15-2016, 07:59 AM
I always wear a helmet. I won't pontificate here but head and brain injuries rarely end well. I have two Shoei RF1200's. A red one for the Ducati and a new Grey Terminus for the F6B. Ride safe...

willtill
02-15-2016, 08:16 AM
For most of us that wear helmets; I have a question....

...do any of you also wear a "dew rag" underneath it?

I normally wear a 'dew rag" under my helmets; and it helps keep the helmet innards clean. However it does seem to defeat (at least to me) in cooling effect that is built into many helmets; regarding the vents and air channels in the liner.

I am (I may) dispense with the "dew rag" solution and just go "naked" inside my brain bucket this summer. But that results in an mildly unpleasant helmet interior... due to sweat and hair oils... maybe.

wjduke
02-15-2016, 08:34 AM

I normally wear a 'dew rag" under my helmets; and it helps keep the helmet innards clean. However it does seem to defeat (at least to me) in cooling effect that is built into many helmets; regarding the vents and air channels in the liner.

I am (I may) dispense with the "dew rag" solution and just go "naked" inside my brain bucket this summer. But that results in an mildly unpleasant helmet interior... due to sweat and hair oils... maybe.

I wear baseball hats the right way and that's about it. I wash the liners a couple times a season.

jm21ddd15
02-15-2016, 10:24 AM

I'm a helmet guy, too. Most quality helmets have removable inner parts that can be cleaned/washed. I suppose, the amount of sweating differs from each persons "body" and the temps they ride in. I wear a Shoei Neotec, and it gets hot at slow speeds, but seems ok at hyway cruising, but does need occasional cleaning.

Ericb445
02-15-2016, 11:12 PM

No dew rags here.
I have a fan in my garage that I can sit my helmet on when I am done riding.
If it gets really funky I snap all the liners out, and toss them in the washing machine

willtill
02-16-2016, 05:54 AM
I wear baseball hats the right way and that's about it. I wash the liners a couple times a season.

I'm a helmet guy, too. Most quality helmets have removable inner parts that can be cleaned/washed. I suppose, the amount of sweating differs from each persons "body" and the temps they ride in. I wear a Shoei Neotec, and it gets hot at slow speeds, but seems ok at hyway cruising, but does need occasional cleaning.

No dew rags here.
I have a fan in my garage that I can sit my helmet on when I am done riding.
If it gets really funky I snap all the liners out, and toss them in the washing machine

Yep. :yes: I know most helmet liners and cheek pads are removable just for that. Have cleaned them a few times myself in the past. Can be quite a repetitious chore though; especially in the summer if you are riding a lot in the heat; so dew rags do help somewhat.

Cigar
02-16-2016, 08:14 PM
I do the do.. But only because the hygiene side of things and I don't like a sweaty clammy helmet..

VStarRider
02-17-2016, 03:54 PM
First of all, Mass has a helmet law...the only state in the area that does, so no choice there. Not new news, but I got hit by a cager in April 2014, and my helmet hit the road. I always wore one before that and always will, no matter what.

Your neighbor here in NY wears a helmet 100% of the time, and it is required by law. However, I would wear one 100% of the time regardless of where I lived.

wjduke
02-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Your neighbor here in NY wears a helmet 100% of the time, and it is required by law. However, I would wear one 100% of the time regardless of where I lived.

Ok, I wasn't aware of NY rules. I'm full gear all the time. I hit the pavement once and it saved my butt.

VStarRider
02-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Ok, I wasn't aware of NY rules. I'm full gear all the time. I hit the pavement once and it saved my butt.

Yup, me too. Full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, steel-toed riding boots and armored pants (about 1/2 the time - I just love riding in jeans - I know the risk). I sometimes where a leather jacket when it is cold.

wjduke
02-18-2016, 05:32 AM
After you posted about your helmet law, I laughed to myself. I don't think of NY as a neighboring state. I live near the Cape and it's far away from me. I know RI, CT, NH and I think VT all have no helmet laws....not sure of ME. Very nice riding in the eastern part of the state, horse country. I do a lot of riding in CT and have ventured out a little bit.

VStarRider
02-18-2016, 09:11 AM
After you posted about your helmet law, I laughed to myself. I don't think of NY as a neighboring state. I live near the Cape and it's far away from me. I know RI, CT, NH and I think VT all have no helmet laws....not sure of ME. Very nice riding in the eastern part of the state, horse country. I do a lot of riding in CT and have ventured out a little bit.

MA along with RI, CT, VT, NH and ME are always boxed in together as New England states...NY, PA, NJ, MD, DE often boxed in as mid-Atlantic. Where I live (near Rochester) we are more closely aligned with the mid-west than the east coast. Like Massachusetts, New York is quite a diverse state. We have both the least densely populated county east of the Mississippi (Hamilton - 5,000 people - 3 people per square mile) and the most densely populated (New York County - 70,000 per square mile).

I have been to the Cape once ... and it definitely is a long drive. We stayed with friends in Hyannis. We left at 5:00am (to beat off Cape traffic) and didn't get back to Rochester until 1:00pm.

I would like to return - just not in the summer months! Tell me when traffic and tourist numbers start to drop and I will take your advice before a return visit.

wjduke
02-18-2016, 10:36 AM
MA along with RI, CT, VT, NH and ME are always boxed in together as New England states...NY, PA, NJ, MD, DE often boxed in as mid-Atlantic. Where I live (near Rochester) we are more closely aligned with the mid-west than the east coast. Like Massachusetts, New York is quite a diverse state. We have both the least densely populated county east of the Mississippi (Hamilton - 5,000 people - 3 people per square mile) and the most densely populated (New York County - 70,000 per square mile).

I have been to the Cape once ... and it definitely is a long drive. We stayed with friends in Hyannis. We left at 5:00am (to beat off Cape traffic) and didn't get back to Rochester until 1:00pm.

I would like to return - just not in the summer months! Tell me when traffic and tourist numbers start to drop and I will take your advice before a return visit.

You said it...off season. Sept Oct isn't too bad. My son lives in Hyannis...hates tourists lol

VStarRider
02-23-2016, 08:07 PM
You said it...off season. Sept Oct isn't too bad. My son lives in Hyannis...hates tourists lol

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

98valk
02-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Since some states require wearing helmets, isn't this poll misleading?

I wonder what the percentage of the population (not necessarily the percentage of states) that has to wear a helmet is compared to the polling results. :shrug:

Old Ryder
02-23-2016, 09:14 PM

I don't wear "dew rags"---I wear helmet liners and like helmets, I have more than one or two. The best is named "Wick it". I never believed a piece of cloth would make such a difference in helmet comfort. BTW---added a WSB and Bilt helmet since the picture. Can't wait to Daytona to see what I can try on this year!!!! (It is a sickness)

Cool Hand Luke
02-25-2016, 11:22 PM
“Motorcycle fatalities are not only our No. 1 source of organs, they are also the highest-quality source of organs, because donors are usually young, healthy people with no other traumatic injuries to the body, except to the head… [a mandatory motorcycle helmet law] could put us out of business – or at least the business of organ transplants.”

—Transplant surgeon quoted in “Brain Dead: Why Are There No Mandatory Helmet Laws?” by Jerry Garrett, New York Times online, July 7, 2008.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/skidmarks-donorcycles.html

I always wear a helmet even though my state (SC) does not require it. However, I don't like full face helmets too much, only use them when raining or very cold. I do believe that each one of us has the right to decide if wearing a helmet is important to us, therefore I oppose the mandatory helmet laws even though I choose to wear one.

pilotguy299
04-16-2016, 05:47 AM
I always wear a helmet, even where it ins't required. Sometimes I do wear a half helmet instead of a full face, but that is becoming more rare for me to do.

I wear a dew rag sometimes, like when t's really hot outside, but I find them pretty uncomfortable.

Az Wingrider
04-16-2016, 11:31 AM
I always wear a helmet, no exceptions. I have ridden for a long time and I have come off the bike a few times and I have always been thankful I had a helmet on. I never know when I am going to be put in a situation when I am going to need the protection so I always wear the skid lid. I had a neighbor who got run over a block from his house. You just never know. Besides it has been proven that in hot weather a helmet actually keeps your head cooler.

Britur
04-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Dont u remember the pumpkin and the telephone pole?

this is your head at 20mph duuhhhhhh!

buckeyeken47
04-19-2016, 04:29 PM
I never leave home without one.

Rob41
04-19-2016, 11:26 PM
No need for a dew rag or liner washing here as I rarely wear a helmet. I only wear a helmet for extremely cold weather riding. I've only been riding for 35 years and only get to log 30k or so miles a year which I know is far less than many riders here.

Never went down while riding a bike so no extra incentive for me there. I have always wondered why on earth helmets aren't required while driving a car. Even with the advent of airbags head injuries are still the number one cause of death in motor vehicles. Or seat belts for children on a school bus.

I wonder how many motorcyclists wear a helmet in their car? .batman-smilie.

willtill
04-20-2016, 08:35 AM
No need for a dew rag or liner washing here as I rarely wear a helmet. I only wear a helmet for extremely cold weather riding. I've only been riding for 35 years and only get to log 30k or so miles a year which I know is far less than many riders here.

Never went down while riding a bike so no extra incentive for me there. I have always wondered why on earth helmets aren't required while driving a car. Even with the advent of airbags head injuries are still the number one cause of death in motor vehicles. Or seat belts for children on a school bus.

Because your head is not going to contact the pavement at speed; while in a car. Unless your ejected because you weren't wearing a seat belt.

I am sure you posted that reasoning in jest. If not... I am speechless. :shock:

wjduke
04-20-2016, 10:26 AM

Not looking for a pissing match, but...it only takes one time. It happened to me and the helmet did it's job. My head would have hit for sure.

Rob41
04-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Because your head is not going to contact the pavement at speed; while in a car. Unless your ejected because you weren't wearing a seat belt.

Sorry to make you speechless. Pavement and being ejected have little to do with the fact that the majority of fatalities in an automobile are due to head injuries. So wouldn't it seem prudent to wear a helmet while in a car?

I won't even speculate how many thousands of lives would be saved every year if helmets were mandatory in automobiles. But I do notice the hypocrisy. :icon_rolleyes:

To each their own. Wearing a helmet is up to each rider if their location allows it. :yes:

Flyindave
04-24-2016, 10:53 PM
I haven't worn a helmet most of my life but with the many accidents involving motorcyclists I've been looking at high quality convertible helmets lately.

LPMojo
05-01-2016, 05:52 PM
I used to wear full face helmets until I bought a Harley.
I tried, but couldn't stand wearing a helmet with that bike. It pulled on my head like crazy with no wind protection, and riding was no fun at all.
So, I quit wearing a helmet. I've had no crashes since having the Harley.
I did have two bad crashes before, one with a V65 and one with a FZ1. The helmets saved me noggin in both of those.
I used to work in a trauma ER and ICU, seeing all kinds of motorcycle accident patients.
I currently work in a hospital ICU and frequently take care of survivors of motorcycle accidents.
It's a gamble no matter how you look at it. Sometimes dying is better than surviving.
I do plan to start wearing a helmet again now that I have wind protection.

broncsrule21
09-05-2016, 06:21 PM
I put myself in the always category. I reality there have been less than 10 times in the last 25yrs (used to ride in just shades, shorts, and tank top when i was 17-18yrs old) that I have not worn my full face lid.

53driver
09-05-2016, 10:06 PM
You experience a shattered visor from a piece of iron flipped up by a large tire and you find "full-face-religion" real damn quick.....

Old Ryder
09-06-2016, 11:42 AM
You experience a shattered visor from a piece of iron flipped up by a large tire and you find "full-face-religion" real damn quick.....

LOL!!!! I believe it!!!!

I still wear open face some of the time in hot weather, but even then I have had some bugs that have snapped my head around like a George Foreman right hook.

Bob Penn
09-19-2016, 07:12 AM

Yes, you mite not hit the pavement, at least not before you punch out the windshield or bounce off the dashboard or even clip a roof post with your head on your way out, but I'm pretty sure the wearing of a helmet in any moving vehicle would serve a purpose during an accident. To equate the hitting of pavement as the major factor is naive at best!!

But I've yet to see a study on how many accidents are in fact caused by the wearing of a helmet. It mite prove a large number of accident were caused by fatigue due to the helmet from either vibration, heat or lack of air circulation. The loss of perihelia vision and the reduced hearing suffered due to the wearing of a helmet can also be factors!

I've only been riding motorcycles since 1963 so I might not be an expert, but I do reside in a state where helmets are optional. Unfortunately,the surrounding states of NY, and NJ. do require them. Recently coming home from the "Roar to the Shore" held in, Wildwood, NJ. I was forced to wear a helmet in 95 + degree weather with 80 plus humidity. I almost pulled a Hillary I tell you. So I took a longer route home to get to the PA boarder quicker just so I could rip off that damn helmet. As soon as I did I felt refreshed and was able to do the last 120 miles with no problem.

Yes, I do wear a helmet from time to time but the majority of the time I do not. It should be my decision!! Not the law passed by some money grubbing politician who voted for a law based on a kick back from a helmet MFG. who paid for self promoted limited studies.

PS. Oh, yes Will, I checked the beach there was absolutely no trash on it but it was a good quarter mile walk in white sand to get to the water from the boardwalk. You missed another good time.

willtill
09-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Yes, you mite not hit the pavement, at least not before you punch out the windshield or bounce off the dashboard or even clip a roof post with your head on your way out, but I'm pretty sure the wearing of a helmet in any moving vehicle would serve a purpose during an accident. To equate the hitting of pavement as the major factor is naive at best!!

But I've yet to see a study on how many accidents are in fact caused by the wearing of a helmet. It mite prove a large number of accident were caused by fatigue due to the helmet from either vibration, heat or lack of air circulation. The loss of perihelia vision and the reduced hearing suffered due to the wearing of a helmet can also be factors!

I've only been riding motorcycles since 1963 so I might not be an expert, but I do reside in a state where helmets are optional. Unfortunately,the surrounding states of NY, and NJ. do require them. Recently coming home from the "Roar to the Shore" held in, Wildwood, NJ. I was forced to wear a helmet in 95 + degree weather with 80 plus humidity. I almost pulled a Hillary I tell you. So I took a longer route home to get to the PA boarder quicker just so I could rip off that damn helmet. As soon as I did I felt refreshed and was able to do the last 120 miles with no problem.

Yes, I do wear a helmet from time to time but the majority of the time I do not. It should be my decision!! Not the law passed by some money grubbing politician who voted for a law based on a kick back from a helmet MFG. who paid for self promoted limited studies.

PS. Oh, yes Will, I checked the beach there was absolutely no trash on it but it was a good quarter mile walk in white sand to get to the water from the boardwalk. You missed another good time.

Boy, I sure hit a nerve with you about that, :icon_lol: Chill out Bob... :039: ...or I'll start on digging on Scranton, PA... :icon_mrgreen:

Bob Penn
09-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Boy, I sure hit a nerve with you about that, :icon_lol: Chill out Bob... :039: ...or I'll start on digging on Scranton, PA... :icon_mrgreen:

You'd have to have your facts right before you could hit a nerve! I'm perfectly entertained and chilled out laughing at your misconceptions based on beliefs with out the obvious experience or knowledge of the facts.:shock:

Have at Scranton all you want! I live 30 miles away and 1500 feet above it. Just try to get your facts right so I don't have to waste my time correcting your opinions with the facts.:banghead:

I think most people that come to this site are looking for experienced knowledge and facts not misguided opinions.

willtill
09-19-2016, 12:50 PM
You'd have to have your facts right before you could hit a nerve! I'm perfectly entertained and chilled out laughing at your misconceptions based on beliefs with out the obvious experience or knowledge of the facts.:shock:

Have at Scranton all you want! I live 30 miles away and 1500 feet above it. Just try to get your facts right so I don't have to waste my time correcting your opinions with the facts.:banghead:

I think most people that come to this site are looking for experienced knowledge and facts not misguided opinions.

Jersey's still a dump. :poke: Have at it.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-places-to-live-in-new-jersey/

:icon_mrgreen: