ANY TOMTOM RIDER USERS ???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ANY TOMTOM RIDER USERS ???

ANY TOMTOM RIDER USERS ???

Ordered a TomTom Rider GPS today.

Have just had it with Garmin's poor customer support, poor mapping software (base camp) and awful map updating software. Had a Quest 2 which was OK. After a couple of years decided to upgrade the maps. Garmin site sad YES, there is a map update for your GPS. Paid the 50 bucks and then it said SORRY, not enough memory in your unit. Made the mistake of replacing it with the Nuvi 550 which for the money was not bad. Guess what happened recently when I update the maps. That's right, Garmin took my 50 bucks and then SORRY, not enough memory. Well this time I was able to install an SD card which Garmin was too cheap to provide. After several hours I finally got the Garmin upgrade software to load the purchased maps on to the SD card (a nightmare). Well 1,500 miles later at night somewhere out in the middle of Alabama the 550 can not access the 50 dollar map upgrade (corrupt file I guess). Right now I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than give Garmin another dollar.

I like the idea that TomTom uses Tyre planning software that is Google Maps based and that regular map updates are included in the reasonable purchase price (reasonable compared to Garmin prices). Just wondering if others have made the jump to TomTom ???

Not yet

The only TomTom I had experience with was the one in Mother in laws car and it was a POS. It was about 3 years ago so they may have improved. I use cheapo Garmin NUVI (not sure which model number) $219 a couple of years ago.... because they are M/C specific and waterproof. No need to mess with zip-lock bags or pouches that fog up. I don't upgrade the maps, just replace the unit when it starts acting up or the maps get too outdated. I still use paper maps and google maps to pre-plan most trips.

I got the Garmin Nuvi 50 for $59.99 at Walmart. If and when it shits the bed, I'll buy another one. For 60Bucks I'll deal with ziplock bags. I'm a cheapo I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by GONRDN View Post
    I got the Garmin Nuvi 50 for $59.99 at Walmart. If and when it shits the bed, I'll buy another one. For 60Bucks I'll deal with ziplock bags. I'm a cheapo I guess.
    I like your way of thinking. I'm just lazy. Several years ago I just got tired having to stop (or trying to decide if I should stop before I got wet) to cover my radar detector, GPS, travel bag, and put on my rainsuit, etc. Now everything is ready to go all the time; waterproof GPS, legal-speeding radar detector box, goretex apparel and pack my gear in a plastic bag when I pack. But it does come at some price.

Smile

I tried Tomtom at the store and in my opinion it is worse than Garmin. Less resolution, less details on screen. Not as intuitive to use, but I'm used to Garmin for years.

I also buy cheap Nuvis, last one was only about $60 at Staples. Not waterproof, however it does not bother me. I have found out that windshield protects it from fairly serious rain as long as I'm moving at some speed. I have it mounted at left handlebar. If rain gets worse I simply pop it off and store it in middle storage box. Never a problem.

I miss Lowrance Iway 500C, it was the best gps I ever had. Not made anymore. Waterproof, same maps as Garmin, customizable, 5" screen with the best detail I've seen. Kind of big and heavy but I liked the amount of detail on it the best at the time. You can buy a 5" screen Garmin but the level of detail is the same as smaller units. My Nuvi is 4.3".

I like to be able to zoom out as far as I can while still showing all the local roads. When riding in the mountains I like to find new roads. All the newer gps's have less detail on them then years before. My Nuvi 200 series can zoom out up to 0.8 miles and still display all the roads. New Garmin's only zoom out to 0.3 miles before loosing the local roads. I think Iway was able to zoom out to 1.2 miles and still display all the roads. I hope the manufacturers at least give us the option to display more detail if we want to. To be fair, new Garmin Colorado gps series can zoom out to 2.0 miles before loosing all the details, however it is not meant for vehicle use per se, screen is smaller size and it is kind of expensive. I wonder if anyone out there has it?

One feature I am intrigued about on Tom Tom Rider is scenic route feature. So, if anyone has used it would you please post your experiences with this feature?

Here's a picture of mine gps mounted.

I got mine there also, although no use right now with 6 inches of snow outside.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post

Have just had it with Garmin's poor customer support, poor mapping software (base camp) and awful map updating software. Had a Quest 2 which was OK. After a couple of years decided to upgrade the maps. Garmin site sad YES, there is a map update for your GPS. Paid the 50 bucks and then it said SORRY, not enough memory in your unit. Made the mistake of replacing it with the Nuvi 550 which for the money was not bad. Guess what happened recently when I update the maps. That's right, Garmin took my 50 bucks and then SORRY, not enough memory. Well this time I was able to install an SD card which Garmin was too cheap to provide. After several hours I finally got the Garmin upgrade software to load the purchased maps on to the SD card (a nightmare). Well 1,500 miles later at night somewhere out in the middle of Alabama the 550 can not access the 50 dollar map upgrade (corrupt file I guess). Right now I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than give Garmin another dollar.

I like the idea that TomTom uses Tyre planning software that is Google Maps based and that regular map updates are included in the reasonable purchase price (reasonable compared to Garmin prices). Just wondering if others have made the jump to TomTom ???
    I made the jump to iPhone about five years ago

I jumped from TomTom Rider 2 to Zumo 390 this year mostly due to better graphics and screen resolution. The Tom worked flawlessly with the included bluetooth headset in a full helmet, I just couldn't see it very well. Still have the Tom if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post

I have a Tom Tom seams like it works ok. I use the free Tyre software. Works well. I live on the Ms. gulf coast.

Following Waypoints

When going from point 'A' to point 'B', I do not want the GPS to decide my route. I want to use the 'TYRE' software to set my 'waypoints' or 'points of interest' or whatever you call them. How does the Tom Tom or Nuvi 50 work with that? Is it easy or is it like pulling teeth?