Anti Drone - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti Drone

Muffler note

Generation one and two mufflers are the same. High quality stainless steel that lend to modification. Caution when or if you change Honda mufflers, insure the heat shield is in place on the right one! If not you may warm up stuff in the right bag. Read melt?
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Ok, pix 1. note rust in the original tips. The tips are of mild steel. Insides of tips will be treeted with rust stop and holes will be filled. These are scrap mufflers from a deer mishap. My originals will just have 3 pipes per side. I will weld ss pipes to the holes and paint hi temp flat black along with inside of the tips. Work in progress. Attachment 3705

Ya'll mite want to look in your own tips. You will have to remove them and look in from inlet end.
    DS, this looks very similar to what I did to my OEM mufflers, and to the OEM tips. I have since that time removed those OEM mufflers, and tips, and....they are available for sale...if someone on this forum wanted to TRY out a set of OEM mufflers and tips that have already been drilled out, rather than drill your own. This would allow a rider to TRY out the drilled version, and if they didn't like it, then could reinstall their non-drilled mufflers.

I have since that time installed aftermarket mufflers and Torq Loops, and the drone is 100 % gone. I have always agreed with Deer Slayer as to where the drone is located, and what causes it, and what it actually is. I would say to any and all that have aftermarket mufflers.....the drone is NOT caused by your aftermarket mufflers, so don't be upset with the manufacturer or supplier, as it is not their fault. Honda simply built a good enough OEM muffler that it masks the drone. Once you remove those OEM mufflers, you will most likely....."most likely"...hear the drone, unless you strain your back from lifting too heavy of a wine goblet.

Quite Frankly, I think the best set up for these bikes is the OEM mufflers and tips. But, as we all know, to each his own.

I am happy with what I have now, and how the bike sounds, and performs, but given 20/20 hindshight, I would have stayed with OEM mufflers. My personal reasoning for making the change was more due to the "need" to feel the bike through the seat of the pants, because I cannot hear the bike with the OEM mufflers now. Due to my recent hearing loss, the bike sounds like it is an electric bike, when using OEM mufflers. That can be disconcerting when riding in twisties, as we get used to hearing our bikes, and knowing how it is performing, gear shifts, etc. By changing to aftermarket mufflers and Torq Loops, I can now "FEEL" the bike better.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    DS, this looks very similar to what I did to my OEM mufflers, and to the OEM tips. I have since that time removed those OEM mufflers, and tips, and....they are available for sale...if someone on this forum wanted to TRY out a set of OEM mufflers and tips that have already been drilled out, rather than drill your own. This would allow a rider to TRY out the drilled version, and if they didn't like it, then could reinstall their non-drilled mufflers.

I have since that time installed aftermarket mufflers and Torq Loops, and the drone is 100 % gone. I have always agreed with Deer Slayer as to where the drone is located, and what causes it, and what it actually is. I would say to any and all that have aftermarket mufflers.....the drone is NOT caused by your aftermarket mufflers, so don't be upset with the manufacturer or supplier, as it is not their fault. Honda simply built a good enough OEM muffler that it masks the drone. Once you remove those OEM mufflers, you will most likely....."most likely"...hear the drone, unless you strain your back from lifting too heavy of a wine goblet.

Quite Frankly, I think the best set up for these bikes is the OEM mufflers and tips. But, as we all know, to each his own.

I am happy with what I have now, and how the bike sounds, and performs, but given 20/20 hindshight, I would have stayed with OEM mufflers. My personal reasoning for making the change was more due to the "need" to feel the bike through the seat of the pants, because I cannot hear the bike with the OEM mufflers now. Due to my recent hearing loss, the bike sounds like it is an electric bike, when using OEM mufflers. That can be disconcerting when riding in twisties, as we get used to hearing our bikes, and knowing how it is performing, gear shifts, etc. By changing to aftermarket mufflers and Torq Loops, I can now "FEEL" the bike better.
    Hi Miles, hope you are mending well. After thought I may just keep my original mufflers with front drill for long trips. I love retirement one may change ones mind as required.
    Deer Slayer

Cutting factory pipes in place

Miles,

Were you able to install torq loopz by cutting the exhaust pipes in place without removing entire exhaust system ??
    If so, what size cutting wheel did you use and was the o2 sensors in front of the cut ?

Thanks
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by f6bdemon View Post
    Miles,

Were you able to install torq loopz by cutting the exhaust pipes in place without removing entire exhaust system ??
    If so, what size cutting wheel did you use and was the o2 sensors in front of the cut ?

Thanks
    Rick

Rick, we did have to remove the header pipes off the bike, to allow us to make a very clean straight cut. We also removed the O2 sensors prior to doing any cutting, and the O2 sensors are located "behind" the cut, or aft of the cut.

You know after reading, and being part of this aftermarket pipes issue and all the wasted time spent both on the web-site and screwing around with different options, methods, etc. etc......I think Miles is right on the "money" stating that the OEM exhausts and tips are probably the BEST way to go.... But as said by others , we bikers are always looking for ways to spend money or personalize our rides to our own liking and sometimes we can't see the "forest for the trees".....Oh well!!

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    You know after reading, and being part of this aftermarket pipes issue and all the wasted time spent both on the web-site and screwing around with different options, methods, etc. etc......I think Miles is right on the "money" stating that the OEM exhausts and tips are probably the BEST way to go.... But as said by others , we bikers are always looking for ways to spend money or personalize our rides to our own liking and sometimes we can't see the "forest for the trees".....Oh well!!
    Agree. It is all in what you want, and to make your F6B look and sound as one wishes. I have a welder and plasma cutter and some crash mufflers, thus I must try different things and sounds. my 6 - 2 - 8 that I am running now is just LOUD I completed my tips, blocked the holes left after drilling the spot welds from the single pipe baffles. Got after the rust and flat black on inside. And aluminum paint on the spot covers. Pix soon. I shall put them back on the bike tonight. I must say again, check the inside of your factory tips. Mean ass rust. You know the flake off type. The original baffles appear to hold the moisture. My F6B has 7 k miles and I got it in July. That is fast rust.
    Deer Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    My F6B has 7 k miles and I got it in July. That is fast rust.

DS, maybe if you rode it more.......there would be less rust from just sitting around.

(oh no.......I didn't just say that....did I ?)

DS, maybe if you rode it more.......there would be less rust from just sitting around.

(oh no.......I didn't just say that....did I ?)

I am working on that Miles, I mean my miles. Photo of rust treated, paint and patched tips.
    Deer Slayer

Went for a ride with Deer Slayer yesterday so we could compare exhaust systems. My setup is Torq Master Daytona's without baffles and no crossover mods. DS is sportin' a drilled-out OEM exhaust with a perforated disc welded in the crossover pipe. First of all, DS's bike is LOUD, probably due to overdoing it on the drilling. It sounds great, has a deep rumble, but generates too much noise for either of us going down the road. I could barely hear my Daytona's by comparison and they're not exactly what you would call quiet. Anyway, we did a 5th gear roll-on comparison and he was slightly faster which suggests that modding the crossover pipe wasn't a bad thing. Also, his mpg during our 200 mile or so run was about the same as before the crossover mod so again, no harm done. Based on these results, we will be doing the crossover mod on my bike the first chance we get.