The Mustang Seat, yep again - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mustang Seat, yep again

On mine, the left nub shows more than the right - not much.

I can push the seat forward far enough to cover them, but then the bolts don't line up.

BTW; after the year or so that I have had this seat, taking it off and putting it on is a piece of cake now. The foam has conformed to the hand rails.

If Mustang is listening or cares, just make the rear of the seat thinner and we won't have trouble with the first install. There is no reason to have the hand rail jammed against the seat like that.

Attachment 14384
    Albuquerque, NM

As others have said get the pointy bolts for the seat. I also recommend putting a little lubricant on the bolts before installing them so they won't gall. Don't use a power driver, you will strip the very soft threads in the bike. (don't ask me how I know this) I can remove and install the seat in under 10 min using these tips. Very easy now.

Tried and failed the get my Mustang seat installed this evening. I couldn't even get the bolts started without the grab rails. I tried screwdrivers and every curse word I've even known. I'll try it again tomorrow!!

Seat Installation Improvement Tip

To improve seat installation, be it the stock or aftermarket, make sure you re-tap the frame seat bosses. Mine were contaminated with "Powder Coat" overspray. A quick cleanup of the bosses and chasing the bolts with a thread die does wonders in easing seat removal and installation. Here's the Post with pics

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...on-Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyDodds View Post
    Tried and failed the get my Mustang seat installed this evening. I couldn't even get the bolts started without the grab rails. I tried screwdrivers and every curse word I've even known. I'll try it again tomorrow!!
    After chasing and tapping the threads like Bob said, put a dab of never seize on the seat bolts too, run 'em in without the seat on and take them back out, never an issue again.

Make sure you get the nose of the seat engaged with the seat bracket on the bike. If not the seat will never line up.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Typed a long response only to lose it on submit!! The gist - bolts (OEM and pointy) are difficult to thread even without the seat. I'll tap these out tomorrow and use some never seize. I think I have one of the bikes with the powder coating in the threads. '15 model, by the way.

Thanks everyone for the great tips and advice!! Wonderful collective knowledge here!

Best of luck for tomorrow. Boy I'm really looking forward to my go.

Chris

Typed a long response only to lose it on submit!! The gist - bolts (OEM and pointy) are difficult to thread even without the seat. I'll tap these out tomorrow and use some never seize. I think I have one of the bikes with the powder coating in the threads. '15 model, by the way.
    Make sure you "chase" the treads on the bolts. You'll be amazed at the amount of metal that comes off the OEM bolts. From a machinist standpoint, the seat bosses and bolts are not close to being a "Class A Fit" As stated, finish up with a dab of Never Seize to the bolt treads