Seat Complaint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat Complaint

Seat Complaint

No, not about comfort. BUT I swear to the unholy engineers that designed this hair-pulling teeth-gnashing bum support that this has got to be the most complicated seat installation I've ever seen. It's enough to make me want to scream. Whatever happened to a simple lock to pop the seat off? I've never had a motorcycle that was so complicated to get to the underneath spaces. Getting it off isn't so bad, what will make you commit hari kari is putting the damn thing back on! The first two screws are OK, not a problem, unless of course you're looking over at the other bikes where a single lock pops the seat off and you're counting a total of six screws and two heavy grab bars to get the assembly back in order. The four bolts through the hand rails are maniacally insistent on not going anywhere near their receptacles, somewhere in the black depths of under-seat hell, unseen and uncaring, spinning madly and laughing at your sweating futility. Then some plastic bit in the undercarriage is bent all out of place - probably because the seat wasn't seated right sometime in the past. Off, and on again. Nope, didn't line up the saddle bag latches right - do over, clumsy! Also, if you have to open those saddle bags while working on the bike, do it before you remove the seat, because getting the latch release to work with the grab bars off is apparently impossible. Meanwhile the bike is now clean because of the sweat that's dripped off my face all over it, and the tools, through my shirt, etc. Yes, it doesn't help that it was hotter than a Texas barbecue in my garage, even though I waited till nearly dark to tackle this minor little adjustment.

All this, just to adjust the preload on the suspension up two clicks for a little extra loading.

Engineers ... if you don't want your customers to KILL YOU ... try putting it together once or twice yourself for routine maintenance, and once for an emergency. Then, remember these wise words: keep it simple, stupid.

2013 Honda F6B custom orange
    2009 Kawasaki Versys aka "Dr Doom"
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Stormtrooper"
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Yoda"

Great job on that post . . . i feel your pain. Likely will be changing out my stock seat for a Mustang perch but will probably do that over the winter. Will give me months to get it done! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by darcym View Post
    ... All this, just to adjust the preload on the suspension up two clicks for a little extra loading. ...
    Ah, you do know you can adjust the suspension preload without taking off the seat ?

Darcym -
    Very entertaining post - great writing!
    I almost hope I'm wrong in what I'm about to type, for fear of what you might do to yourself when you read it , but...I could swear I adjusted the preload on my suspension up a couple of clicks shortly after I purchased my bike, simply by popping off a side panel and turning a dial - took all of about sixty seconds.
    So I hope you're talking about some sort of suspension adjustment of which I'm not even aware!

Edit - sorry, I didn't see ths61's post before I sent mine - he and I are saying the same thing. The good news is that I'm not going crazy. The bad news is that you may have done extended battle with your seat for nothing!

After you take it off and on several times you learn all the do's,do not's,and little tricks so its not such a pain in the azz. The tapered point after market attachment bolts help a whole bunch. (Wing Stuff) Don't forget a dab of anti-seize....................................Dickie
    " A Gun Is Like A Parachute.If You Need One, And Don't Have One, You'll Probably Never Need One Again!"

Seat Installation Tip

Whenever one first removes their seat they should be prepared to "chase" the "frame seat boss threads". Having the right size metric tap on hand would be a good start. Removing the "over sprayed power coat" from the frame boss threads does wonders when reinstalling the bolt. Another trick is to leave each seat bolt loose so the seat can "float". After all bolts are inserted then torque to specs. Attaching my original post/thread on the subject/topic!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...on-Improvement

Can't really add anything more; everyone whom posted has it covered. Anti-seize is definitely your friend here, And a light touch on the bolts as you make contact with the frame bosses and get each one wiggled back into proper thread engagement.

The second time I replaced my seat; was much easier; due to the fact that I had previously applied anti-seize. But don't go hog wild with it though; that chit gets all over and if you're not careful; you'll end up looking like the tin man from Oz...

PS: You want to experiencing something maddening on another motorcycle? Trying changing out the headlight bulbs on a Victory Vision. You'll invent new epitaphs and cuss words that never have been uttered previously by any man ...on this earthly planet...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Can't imagine why you would remove your seat to adjust the rear suspension? Here are the directions

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/581...b.html?page=46
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by darcym View Post
    No, not about comfort. BUT I swear to the unholy engineers that designed this hair-pulling teeth-gnashing bum support that this has got to be the most complicated seat installation I've ever seen. It's enough to make me want to scream. Whatever happened to a simple lock to pop the seat off? I've never had a motorcycle that was so complicated to get to the underneath spaces. Getting it off isn't so bad, what will make you commit hari kari is putting the damn thing back on! The first two screws are OK, not a problem, unless of course you're looking over at the other bikes where a single lock pops the seat off and you're counting a total of six screws and two heavy grab bars to get the assembly back in order. The four bolts through the hand rails are maniacally insistent on not going anywhere near their receptacles, somewhere in the black depths of under-seat hell, unseen and uncaring, spinning madly and laughing at your sweating futility. Then some plastic bit in the undercarriage is bent all out of place - probably because the seat wasn't seated right sometime in the past. Off, and on again. Nope, didn't line up the saddle bag latches right - do over, clumsy! Also, if you have to open those saddle bags while working on the bike, do it before you remove the seat, because getting the latch release to work with the grab bars off is apparently impossible. Meanwhile the bike is now clean because of the sweat that's dripped off my face all over it, and the tools, through my shirt, etc. Yes, it doesn't help that it was hotter than a Texas barbecue in my garage, even though I waited till nearly dark to tackle this minor little adjustment.

All this, just to adjust the preload on the suspension up two clicks for a little extra loading.

Engineers ... if you don't want your customers to KILL YOU ... try putting it together once or twice yourself for routine maintenance, and once for an emergency. Then, remember these wise words: keep it simple, stupid.

Great Post!!! I can't wait to hear what you have to say when you go to put that Mustang seat on.

Quote Originally Posted by No Handle Sam View Post
    Great Post!!! I can't wait to hear what you have to say when you go to put that Mustang seat on.
    LOL!!!! That is the truth. With the Mustang, be sure to get the longer bolts from Rick at Value Accessories or that may be an all day project---ask how I know. I don't recall this being said, but inserting a long phillips screwdriver about the same size as the holes, just to line everything up in advance, really helps a lot.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]