LED Relay: Australian Spec strikes again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Relay: Australian Spec strikes again!

LED Relay: Australian Spec strikes again!

Loosing my sense of humour right now. I purchased an F6B spec LED relay from the US, tore the front of my bike apart and the OEM relay on my Aussie spec bike is 3 pins (black relay) in line where as the replacement relay is 4 pins in a Hitachi type connector. (White connector attached to the relay with resin).
    Bugger!
    Can some one please advise which is incorrect, was I sent the wrong relay from the US OR is the Aussie OEM relay ( 3 pin) different to the rest of the world for reasons known only to Mr Honda?
    Thanks for any advice re this. Nothing is meant to be simple when modding lights on this bike!
    Best wishes all.
    Ken
    Attachment 17590
    2015 Blue F6B
    Cairns AUSTRALIA

Can you provide a bit better pic of your AUS relay? There's no functionality in a 3 pin relay. Minimum is 4 pins. 2 pins for relay energizing and 2 pins for the ole in out in out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Can you provide a bit better pic of your AUS relay? There's no functionality in a 3 pin relay. Minimum is 4 pins. 2 pins for relay energizing and 2 pins for the ole in out in out.
    I beg to differ with ya. Also called an LED flasher relay. Welcome to the world of solid state, no moving parts.

And here is how to test them all.
    https://youtu.be/IpRWcNoLdwQ

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Ozzy F6B Relay OEM 3 Pin

Clearer pictures of my OEM Honda F6B 2015 relay. Help!Attachment 17594
    Attachment 17594Attachment 17595
    2015 Blue F6B
    Cairns AUSTRALIA

I'm trying to understand the problem. I get it... you are changing or adding LED lights, but why are you switching out the relay? Is it to slow the blink rate on the turns or some other issue? I would leave the OEM 3 pin you have in, it should not hurt a thing. Is this what you received?
    http://www.rickcasehonda.net/dynamic...uctid=20794380

Quote Originally Posted by Baytown View Post
    Clearer pictures of my OEM Honda F6B 2015 relay. Help!Attachment 17594
    Attachment 17594Attachment 17595

Hi mate.
    Yes, Ive fitted LED globes all around ( another story there!) and wanted to slow the flash rate. I believe the Police dislike fast flashing vehicles.
    The relay I received is like the one in your link but the connector is different.
    The item I received has a square connector and 2 rows of 2 pins.
    I need a pretty big hammer to ram it into the OEM 3 pin connector!
    Splicing the factory wiring to another 3 pin resistor type relay isnt much of an option at present as access to the loom is difficult, and I drove 200kms today and couldnt find a suitable 3 pin relay. Living in the country sucks in some ways.
    If this isnt a quick fix, or I need toget another suitable relay from SoCal Moto ( exhorbitant international postage, over $50 US for the relay), I might just put it all back together, but thats not what I want.
    Best wishes and thanks for the informed guidance.
    Ken
    2015 Blue F6B
    Cairns AUSTRALIA

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I beg to differ with ya. Also called an LED flasher relay. Welcome to the world of solid state, no moving parts.

And here is how to test them all.
    https://youtu.be/IpRWcNoLdwQ
    Well they may call it a relay but that schematic doesn't relay anything. I can see the internal part but it is still a 4 pin/junction device. Now I gots to find the current handling of one of those. Thanks Larry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Baytown View Post
    Hi mate.
    Yes, Ive fitted LED globes all around ( another story there!) and wanted to slow the flash rate. I believe the Police dislike fast flashing vehicles.
    The relay I received is like the one in your link but the connector is different.
    The item I received has a square connector and 2 rows of 2 pins.
    I need a pretty big hammer to ram it into the OEM 3 pin connector!
    Splicing the factory wiring to another 3 pin resistor type relay isnt much of an option at present as access to the loom is difficult, and I drove 200kms today and couldnt find a suitable 3 pin relay. Living in the country sucks in some ways.
    If this isnt a quick fix, or I need toget another suitable relay from SoCal Moto ( exhorbitant international postage, over $50 US for the relay), I might just put it all back together, but thats not what I want.
    Best wishes and thanks for the informed guidance.
    Ken
    I understand if there is an issue with the Police/law there over a fast blink rate, but personally I like the blink at the much faster rate, I did not change out my blinker relay when installing LED turns, I love the fast rate. Anything that draws cages attention to me and my signaled intended maneuvers while riding is a good thing IMO.
    I wish you the best in your endeavors to solve this issue and please keep us informed of your final solution.

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Well they may call it a relay but that schematic doesn't relay anything. I can see the internal part but it is still a 4 pin/junction device. Now I gots to find the current handling of one of those. Thanks Larry.
    I agree in the sense of how you and I think what a relay is: switches that open and close circuits electromechanically or electronically. They control one electrical circuit by opening and closing contacts in another circuit, but in this case it is only the terminology of semantics as it does relay a steady 12v to a "self converted" pulsed 12v signal to the turn lights.

Perhaps it would be less confusing if we referred to this device as a solid-state LED flasher and not as a "relay".
    Ken (Hornblower)