Slow, conservative riders unite! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slow, conservative riders unite!

I think most people with these posts are absolutely correct. Always ride your own ride. You know what you are comfortable and capable of. Going outside of that leads to disaster.
    Some people are more skilled, and just because they are capable of navigating curves a lot faster does not mean that they are reckless as long they are within their bounds of safety and are not a menace to other people and riders. The key is knowing what your safety limits are and not going past that.

Always if going with a group of people understand what type of riding they do and what their plans are. We have found that our very slow riding, with Teresa riding behind me on her own bike sometimes is to fast for someone else (with very little riding experience). Your idea of normal speed may be someone else's slow or fast.
    If riding with other people that are not as experienced, different type of bike, older, younger, maybe have some type of impairment, or even riding two up where you are single, etc. always keep in mind that you do not want to push them.
    We have seen many disastrous rides at rallies or gatherings when you get groups of people where the first few riders want to show everyone their riding skills, then individuals that do not ride curves that much are trying to keep up in the back. No one wants to be left behind and people end up attempting to go a lot faster then they are capable of or want to.

I did ride with our group at the F6B rally and this was not a problem. They do not want accidents and do go slower on the rides. I would not be concerned going to the F6B rally later this Summer and participating in the group rides. It is more about seeing everyone and having a good time, not how fast you can go.

Picture below is of Teresa and I on the Dragon a few months ago, both had a good time and at the speed that was comfortable for her.

Quote Originally Posted by rickw View Post
    I think most people with these posts are absolutely correct. Always ride your own ride. You know what you are comfortable and capable of. Going outside of that leads to disaster.
    Some people are more skilled, and just because they are capable of navigating curves a lot faster does not mean that they are reckless as long they are within their bounds of safety and are not a menace to other people and riders. The key is knowing what your safety limits are and not going past that.

Always if going with a group of people understand what type of riding they do and what their plans are. We have found that our very slow riding, with Teresa riding behind me on her own bike sometimes is to fast for someone else (with very little riding experience). Your idea of normal speed may be someone else's slow or fast.
    If riding with other people that are not as experienced, different type of bike, older, younger, maybe have some type of impairment, or even riding two up where you are single, etc. always keep in mind that you do not want to push them.
    We have seen many disastrous rides at rallies or gatherings when you get groups of people where the first few riders want to show everyone their riding skills, then individuals that do not ride curves that much are trying to keep up in the back. No one wants to be left behind and people end up attempting to go a lot faster then they are capable of or want to.

I did ride with our group at the F6B rally and this was not a problem. They do not want accidents and do go slower on the rides. I would not be concerned going to the F6B rally later this Summer and participating in the group rides. It is more about seeing everyone and having a good time, not how fast you can go.

Picture below is of Teresa and I on the Dragon a few months ago, both had a good time and at the speed that was comfortable for her.
    I know that with some of the larger VRCC rides, there are generally opportunities for groups interested in a "Spirited Ride".
    I definitely enjoy spirited riding, but always with environment and traffic in mind. Whenever leading or partaking in a ride with multiple riders of varying skill, safety is always at the forefront . Ride your own ride you won't be left behind.

Wife and I do slow more now than ever !
    You can work on that thought.
    Slow is good. Last ticket I got was in 05 going into Salida, CO and the high sheriff said I was off the chart.
    Paid that one and changed my ways (some).

Fast/Slow vs. Safe

I've found little trouble to blend with many riders responding above . What speed categorize comfortable and safe interaction with others ? Definitely slow riding is better , if comes to possible crash . But , in the same time , slow driving among faster traffic can be disastrous . Over-speeding can be also dangerous , especially if others are not prepared to react on time.
    Driving smart is the only formula , which meets conditions on the road , including : weather , state of the pavement , congestion , visibility (night/day) , possible distraction ( caused by others ) , etc. I adopted and follow senses of monitoring any situations on the various roads , which can be different in the matter of seconds . Evaluation of mentioned conditions allows me to feel safe and to be safe . Usually posted speed limits are done for purpose and following them , somehow insures protection from others and allow to avoid intervention of law enforcement .

Yup...I run at my own speed and apologise to no one....not so fast as I use to years ago and I really think that is a good thing. Sometimes when the conditions are right I will wind it up a bit but that is usually when I feel I have the road to my self.....don't have any need to keep up with the pack....my father in law always said that 100 km/hr on the road was a hell of a lot better than 150 km/hr in the ditch. He wasn't big into the biking thing but it still applies.

Run at your own speed and comfort level depending on the day, the conditions and your mood and apologise to no one.

Ride safe...ride happy....

tink

I ride fast or slow depending on my mood and how I feel.Most of my riding is solo but I have a crew I ride with on Saturday mornings and they are pretty fast even in the mountains around here. I've learned from them but have no problem at all letting them get away from me if I don't feel like it.I have surprised them on occasion when I did feel like it but I don't consistently want to race every time I get on my bike.
    The country here in Colorado is too beautiful to just jam past it without being able to look.
    I agree, ride your own ride,stay within your limits and the biggest thing is enjoy riding ! What is the fun of going too slow or going so fast that it's not fun.
    All said, I still have my '96 Hurricane and ride it when I just want balls to the wall speed ..but since I've had the F6 all I do is keep it clean.The Hurricane is a good bike -I've kept it maintained but I don't ride it much anymore.
    Injun Joe - you live in Colorado? Maybe we can meet somewhere , put a couple of miles on the bikes and have lunch or a coffee somewhere. I like cruising and like you 10 -15 miles over the limit is about right.75-85 is good cruising on the highway. The mountains and canyons dictate a slower speed. Doesn't matter I've taken it faster about 120 but just to do it.
    And what rally are you speaking of? In Colorado?
    I'm 65 and am slowly (with reminders from my doctor) starting to realize it..but sometimes

A man should know his limitations and operate within them. Mostly...

If a situation looks not quite right, do not do it. Try to be ready for what jumps in front of you. My first deer hit me! Just use the protective gear. If you choose not to wear a helmet, I am sure a Memorial ride will be scheduled in you memory. In short ride your ride.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    If a situation looks not quite right, do not do it. Try to be ready for what jumps in front of you. My first deer hit me! Just use the protective gear. If you choose not to wear a helmet, I am sure a Memorial ride will be scheduled in you memory. In short ride your ride.

Amen to that brother ......

When I ride with others we all know the route and stops so everyone can feel free to do their own thing. I don't often ride with folks I don't know well, and if I do I ride where I can get a sense of their riding style and protect myself.

I ride a yearly Make a Wish benefit ride during AZ bike week. One year a friend convinced me to let an orphan rider (his buds stood him up) join us. Against my usual judgment I agreed and all was cool for the first part of the ride. The orphan rode respectively and in control. After one stop he was first in line and he knew the next stop so he led the way - he made it one quarter mile where he failed to make a sharp left hand curve, crashed and ended up against a rock wall.

This is where my fantastic day of riding ends, my natural buzz ruined, and I am forced to go into medic mode and figure out if this guy has a closed head injury and needs a life flight or urgent professional medical care. (no helmet but it's not required and I don't judge others for not wearing them)

Turns out he was not too seriously hurt however he didn't ride his ride and he let the situation overwhelm him and he displayed poor judgment and skill.

Like others have stated I ride both fast and slow depending on lots of factors - sometimes very fast. But I ride my ride and I try not to ruin others fun with my stupidity or selfishness.

Regardless of how you ride - get there in one piece and try not to give other motorcyclists a bad reputation by riding like a jerk.