Visibility - head light black-out area - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Visibility - head light black-out area

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
    Well I see your point. I just never thought that HB's would be that overpowering during daylight hours.....more noticeable yes....but not an eye smoking irritating. Course I never stopped to walk out a couple hundred feet in front of the F6B while idling with the HB's on and assess how bright they were either. Will do that next chance I get.

In the mean time, I maintain anything I can do to minimise the chance of some cage pulling out in my lane and smoking me is good for me and good for the other fellows insurance company.

tink
    Ultimately you're probably right... I'm just irked by what seems like a multitude of idjets in my area with badly aimed lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Ultimately you're probably right... I'm just irked by what seems like a multitude of idjets in my area with badly aimed lighting.
    I hear you man....and I appreciate the heads up....I am half way across the country from the F6B now but will give it a stare down test with the High Beams on when I get near it again. I want to be seen but not at the cost of hindering oncoming traffic or even just being a nuisance. Just getting used to the bike....spectacular beast that it is....and am wondering now if I have underestimated the intensity of the lights.

Will check it out at the first chance and thank you for the heads up.

tink

Well I see your point. I just never thought that HB's would be that overpowering during daylight hours.....more noticeable yes....but not an eye smoking irritating. Course I never stopped to walk out a couple hundred feet in front of the F6B while idling with the HB's on and assess how bright they were either. Will do that next chance I get.

In the mean time, I maintain anything I can do to minimise the chance of some cage pulling out in my lane and smoking me is good for me and good for the other fellows insurance company.

tink
    My thoughts on running High Beam all the time,,,
    First, although you can be see initially, I feel it makes it harder for on coming traffic to judge your distance and rate of speed which brings on it's own set of problems. Also it makes it very difficult for on coming traffic to see your turn signals.
    In every test I have read re: being seen, it is the position of the lights and not the brightness that makes it safer for us. BMW had done extensive testing years ago and found A triangle effect of lights will be your best defense at having on coming traffic judge distance and rate of closure, which to me is just as important.
    The Wing, F6B and my Valk Interstate have high Headlights and a low wide mounted set of Fog Lights which was great for the triangle effect. Also look at many BMWs and their extra light placement.
    Sooo get your lights adjusted properly and add driving lights
    Again,,,, just my opinion

If you want to see the triangle effects try looking at the headlights of an oncoming locomotive and that will give you the idea. Worked at the railway for 38 years and they are very visible.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    My thoughts on running High Beam all the time,,,
    First, although you can be see initially, I feel it makes it harder for on coming traffic to judge your distance and rate of speed which brings on it's own set of problems. Also it makes it very difficult for on coming traffic to see your turn signals.
    In every test I have read re: being seen, it is the position of the lights and not the brightness that makes it safer for us. BMW had done extensive testing years ago and found A triangle effect of lights will be your best defense at having on coming traffic judge distance and rate of closure, which to me is just as important.
    The Wing, F6B and my Valk Interstate have high Headlights and a low wide mounted set of Fog Lights which was great for the triangle effect. Also look at many BMWs and their extra light placement.
    Sooo get your lights adjusted properly and add driving lights
    Again,,,, just my opinion
    Good Info as well.... have the 960's mounted now but haven't really had a chance to look at the diff they might make....on the list of things to do....but life gets in the way....will have to wait until I get some shop/riding time in another week or so.

tink

Not sure I am reading this right... but here in the Blue Hair state...you better have everything on you can on the front and the rear of your scoot.... these folks will try to kill you!!!! I run with EVERYTHING on in the day time, as others on this board. If a cager told me that my lights were blinding them in the day light hours, I would fall over laughing !!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Each of our headlight assemblies (left and right) should have two adjustments... one for vertical and one for horizontal.

Are some bikes different than this?

I hear you man....and I appreciate the heads up....I am half way across the country from the F6B now but will give it a stare down test with the High Beams on when I get near it again. I want to be seen but not at the cost of hindering oncoming traffic or even just being a nuisance. Just getting used to the bike....spectacular beast that it is....and am wondering now if I have underestimated the intensity of the lights.

Will check it out at the first chance and thank you for the heads up.

tink

Where in the front is this magic knob...?

There is ONLY one adjustment... for verticle....turn your bars either way to full lock and look towards the back of the head lights,,, the adjustment knob is there....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

This picture is a little hard to follow... but one knob is behind the low beams and the other is behind the high beams. These adjustments move the entire headlight housing... so both low and high beams move together; you can't adjust lows independently of highs.