To wear or not to wear is a choice is some states and for those of us who choose not to wear that's our business. I see idiots in 115 degree heat wearing full leather and a full face helmet on a GOLDWING! While you might be safe "IF" you fall down your probably gonna scramble your melon anyway due to heat exhaustion. At the end of the day riding a bike is dangerous business and you take a risk every time you get on one. In many cases a helmet helps, in some it just keeps the big bits in place. If it's your time, it's your time.

I've wrecked a more than a few times in my riding career, the last 2 low sides my helmet never touched the road, my high side (hit a curb, to much speed) just landed me in the grass so in all of those helmet wasn't a factor aside to make my neck sore. Does that mean it will be that way the next time, no, does it mean it's that way for everyone, no. But people survive who don't wear helmets and people die who wear full gear. it's a crap shoot.

That poor guy in the picture a helmet wouldn't have probably done much more unless it was a full face. So should we all only wear full face helmets now? Ride whatever level of gear you feel you need. When I'm on my Wing or the B I don't wear one very often, on the Valkyrie I do because it has less protection and I tend to be more hamfisted with it, ride a little faster, corner a little quicker. I'm taking it easy on the others so I accept that level of risk. When I'm going no helmet I have a very very different riding style then when I do.

To each there own no reason to bash or hate on the other... Oh and I smoke Cigars on my Wing all the time, been doing it for years, never had an issue with Ash up my nose or anywhere else. It's one of my favorite things to do, a comfy backroads ride, no helmet with a nice stogie and some good tunes. That's freedom to me and the hell with anyone who wants to argue that with me!